• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 07:15:41 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Tale of OG Gamers - High Elves

Started by cunningmatt, September 02, 2010, 09:35:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

noahtonkin

Quote from: cunningmatt on March 22, 2011, 12:26:45 am

This is one of these obtuse questions asked by philosphers to justify them having a function in life, when they don't. It's much like the question "If a Pot Noodle is not eaten, does it still taste like the contents of a septic tank?" - the answer to which is of course yes, it's a Pot Noodle it will always taste foul.

However to be obtuse about your obtuse first question, firstly people can be in the wilderness (check out Telford town centre if you don't believe me) so said falling herdstone could still be heard. But to get to the crux of the matter, as always iyou need to ask a physicist, if only we had one at hand - oh wait a minute I am one. So I can say, yes it does make a noise, because noise is sound and sound is a compression wave travelling through a medium (as in material, like air or water, not an average sized shirt or Derek Akorah) which occurs whether someone is around to record some sensory information or not. If it didn't make a compression wave when no one was there, this would imply the Universe is somehow sentient and only chooses to make compression waves when people are around. And any one who has seen "OMG" with Peaches Geldolf on ITV2 can surely vouch for the fact that for the Universe to allow this to exist it cannot be sentient.

Oh and would it still make a noise if it was a polystyrene, yes, you just might not be able to hear it because of humanity's inferior audio receptors.

Now you're getting into somantics.
Noise and sound.
Sound is the physical wave form created by compression as you rightly state, however noise is the perception of sound. So if said herdstone fell in the woods it would make a sound, but no noise.

Once again, A Level RS coming to the fore (I had the delights of philosophy and ethics classes)
Quote from: Mike
Anyone bringing whats considered 'filth' submits themselves for a pre-game roshambo from everyone in the room at the time.
OG Games' latest foray into madness... http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2794.0

House Martell. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. House Tonkin, every sunday morning, Unbowed, Unbent...Broken!

Toast

I'm completely floored by that.  You deserve a column somewhere.  In a newspaper, that is, not a herdstone in Telford.

Dave

Quote from: noahtonkin on March 22, 2011, 09:21:44 am
Once again, A Level RS coming to the fore (I had the delights of philosophy and ethics classes)
Sounds like a load of arse, I'm with the physicist (so says the Chemistry grad)

fatolaf

Hmmm, I'm off to find a Shakeaway and use my voucher..... :cool3:

cunningmatt

Quote from: Dave on March 22, 2011, 07:57:29 am
One of your best posts thus far.

I think what you may be witnessing is my full scale mental breakdown in written form! At least it's entertaining though.

Ritchie - how quickly I've fallen, last week a cult leader, this week charity case. Fortune is but a fickle thing.

Andrew - yeah sorry I did seem to go off on one there, not quite sure what happened yesterday!  :blush:

Noah - I don't want to question your logic, but according to the Oxford English Dictionary. Noise is defined as
"Noise: noun, a sound, especially one that is loud or unpleasant or that causes disturbance"

therefore I'd say noise and sound are the same thing despite what your GNVQ in Religious Studies (which was called R.E. when I was a kid, but that's another rant), says.  :wink;m:: And in case you were wondering:
"Sound: mass noun, vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear"

Notice the critical word "can" not "must be heard".

Ol - enjoy the voucher

Lee - sorry, just sorry, I promise not to be so psychotic during our next game!

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

noahtonkin

Well what do you know, foiled by OED. That woman on countdown would be proud.

I know what you mean about RS vs RE. it was RE when I was in primary school (presumably as i needed education) while it became RS for A Level (some fool thought i could by that time study!)
The joys of compulsory subjects as christian schools.

I do take delight in quoting passages about a deity, born in mid winter in a cave as there was no room in the village, surrounded by animals and from a virgin birth, wait for those of christian persuasion to say "Ah yes, the birth of christ" and then point out I'm talking about a 4th centuary BC Roman god...

But anyway, must steer clear of religion, its a touchy subject.
Quote from: Mike
Anyone bringing whats considered 'filth' submits themselves for a pre-game roshambo from everyone in the room at the time.
OG Games' latest foray into madness... http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2794.0

House Martell. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. House Tonkin, every sunday morning, Unbowed, Unbent...Broken!

Veldemere

March 22, 2011, 02:57:54 pm #406 Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:59:57 pm by Veldemere
You should all be careful as I managed to bore someone to sleep in a meeting informing them what the difference between volume, audio levels and loudness is! Don't make me do it!!!!

And don't worry Matt, I believe David Korsech had his school lunches paid for....
Ogres 15-11-18
Dwarves 11-1-5
Space Marines 1-1-0
In the middle of a rage quit

cunningmatt

Quote from: noahtonkin on March 22, 2011, 02:47:06 pm
Well what do you know, foiled by OED. That woman on countdown would be proud.

I know what you mean about RS vs RE. it was RE when I was in primary school (presumably as i needed education) while it became RS for A Level (some fool thought i could by that time study!)
The joys of compulsory subjects as christian schools.

Ahhh Susie Dent, bless her.

And I'm pleased though your talking RS, you aren't talking AS Levels. Else I would have to break down in tears!

Quote from: Veldemere on March 22, 2011, 02:57:54 pm
And don't worry Matt, I believe David Korsech had his school lunches paid for....

I googled this person, and am concerned!

maelzch

Quote from: cunningmatt on March 22, 2011, 02:12:05 pmas
Lee - sorry, just sorry, I promise not to be so psychotic during our next game!

no worries mate, at least it was comedy insanity; and who can blame you, you were being heckled by a full audience!
Painted total 2012: Bought:15  Painted: 74
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'
Quote from: Chris TomlinWho knew a Jager obsessed madman could be so creative?

cunningmatt

Quote from: maelzch on March 22, 2011, 06:58:41 pm
no worries mate, at least it was comedy insanity; and who can blame you, you were being heckled by a full audience!

I don't know what the heckling was for, just because I was playing utterly awfully with a significant points advantage!