• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:21:02 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Modern on a Budget

Started by fatolaf, July 14, 2014, 02:09:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fatolaf

Superb article on Modern Decks on a budget, loads of good ideas here...

(the deck with 8 fetch lands is not my idea of a budget deck however)

fatolaf

What is the deal with Remand, explain it to me over other dispels...

Yes you get to draw a card, but they get the spell back...

Steve H

The fact that you get to replace it with a card is the big deal... There are some niche situations where you  can remand your own spell in a counterwar (usually remanding your own Snapcaster Mage back to your hand if the stack is not going well for you), but they don't seem to come up very often! 
In the style of Tom Hale... F*ck Ushabti!!!

Steve H

Also I guess it's the fact that it's any type of spell for 2 mana, when most other 2 mana dispels have conditions over spell type - Negate etc. Also, if you are snapcastering out of a graveyard you are straight gaining a card from it.

There are a ton of other good counters out there if playing on a budget (Remand is about a £5 each)... Mana leak, spell snare etc.

No real substitute for the Snapcaster though :(

fatolaf

Quote from: Steve H on July 14, 2014, 03:11:39 pm
No real substitute for the Snapcaster though :(

Who works so well together with remand, i have one mage so far, bargain price..

Remands are in the Jace vs Vraska deck, of which i have 6 , so thats not going to be a problem  :wink;m::

Steve H

Quote from: fatolaf on July 14, 2014, 04:32:53 pm
Who works so well together with remand, i have one mage so far, bargain price..

Remands are in the Jace vs Vraska deck, of which i have 6 , so thats not going to be a problem  :wink;m::
Yeah, I've managed to track down 3 snapcasters - with a lot of shopping around you can get them for an ok price!

The duel deck defo helped the price of Remand! :D

fatolaf

what did you manage to get the mages for?

Currently they all seem to be around £25-£30 on Ebay

Steve H

All for around £20 each I think (plus one that was in that big bargain box of eBay stuff I bought)...

fatolaf

Quote from: Steve H on July 14, 2014, 05:04:59 pm
All for around £20 each I think (plus one that was in that big bargain box of eBay stuff I bought)...

That box was bargain of the century

Guillaume

the big deal with remand is that it counters anything, drawing a card makes it essential but that isnt the main reason its good.
modern is a tempo, resource and combo based format, and remand excels at all of these things.
example 1:  countering a 2 drop on turn 2 with remand is often as good as mana leaking it because a turn 2 bob or goyf isnt as good as a turn 3 bob or goyf, and a turn 3 vendilion clique or kitchen finks is much better than a turn 4 clique or finks, meaning that if you counter their on curve spell often they wont just play it a turn later as they have more mana efficient spells to play and if they do, its a huge loss of tempo which puts you ahead due to card advantage.
example 2: often a card is at its best in certain situations, i.e a counterspell. protecting your own spell with a remand often lets you resolve your spell unless your opponent can counter it twice which is unlikely in modern. similarly, if you are playing a combo deck ( generally twin as that is the most common deck that plays remand, countering their removal spell even for just a turn lets you win the game onthe spot so it doesnt matter wether its in their hand or not in the end.
example 3: playing against a combo deck like storm or scapeshift or elves where the combo is everything either buys you another turn and another draw for you to win the game yourself, or lets you counter their spell mid combo, which often sets them back several turns in the case of storm, (for instance, countering past in flames when they have no cards in hand often buys you 2 or 3 turns before you need to start worrying about the combo again, and you dont sacrifice any card advantage to do so.

thats why remand is one of the best counterspells in modern even though it doesnt actually counter their spell .