• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:25 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Tournament

Started by CraigM, January 19, 2010, 10:04:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigM

January 19, 2010, 10:04:22 pm Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:09:05 pm by CraigM
Better get moving boys, this was posted on the FFG Invasion forums a few days ago, although he neglects to mention when the tournament is.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=156&efcid=4&efidt=268241

Edit: Here's another:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=156&efcid=4&efidt=261533

(Double Edit: actually there's a few on there, perhaps going for the first ever invasion tourney was a little optimistic. We should still have one though!)

fatolaf

One in Germany and the other one does not look terribley well thought out..

However I will get one of those league kits though...

fatolaf

Maybe here we can chuck ideas about for our tournie though..

Deck size, how we score it etc...

CraigM

Aye, official tourney support is always nice. At the risk of repeating myself I don't see the need to set a minimum deck size, but setting a maximum could save time potentially.

Personally I'd be tempted to start simple with a standard swiss, with possible limits on which expansion cards are legal (i.e. not everyone may have had a chance to buy zealot yet, or whatever).

I'm sure lee mentioned some other kind of scoring system for games dependent on a "best of x" scenario per opponent, which sounded interesting.

Mike

EEP!!..... Invasion loses its Tournament virginity.  Its all downhill from here on in.
In the summer of 2011 he moved North... spreading the word of House OG.

I am Mike of House OG.  Ogger in the North.  And Ginger is coming.

maelzch

Hush there Mike!

My thoughts stemmed from what Mark was saying about magic tournaments:

for instance a tournament could have 5 rounds.  Each round could be a 'best of 3' between two players.  The score would then be recorded for each player as a win or loss, and the winner would also have either 2-0 or 2-1 recorded alongside them. 

for each round after the first, a swiss system could be used

to decide the winner firstly see which players have won the most rounds overall, then see which of those won the most rounds 2-0.

Also, i think for a tourney no min deck size is fine, but I think there should be a maximum size (possibly 70)

Thoughts?
Painted total 2012: Bought:15  Painted: 74
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'
Quote from: Chris TomlinWho knew a Jager obsessed madman could be so creative?

fatolaf

That sounds good Lee, 5 rounds at what hour and a half each?

maelzch

yeah, maybe if we keep an eye on the time taken for 3 games at the club on monday to give us an idea
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'

Peter S

Looks very logical, game times will be interesting, as they seem to either be over very quickly or go on for a long time.

I think a max of 70 sounds right, personally I'm trying to build a deck of 60, so I always have room to expand.
Iyanden          W:1  D:1  L:0
Bad Moonz      W:6  D:0  L:2
Tempest (BA)  W:3  D:0  L:0

fatolaf

We got some nice stuff from FFG yesterday, we have some rather nice Invasion play mats and some spifffing badges (that give is free entry to invasion tournies in the US....umm yes great)..
And we have some voting to do as a club, you will see what I mean on Monday...

maelzch

rightio, be interested to have a look at the bits and pieces

fatolaf

Right I have put a shout out on TWF to get the ball rolling along with an announcement on the FFG forum as well...
Lets aim for 20 players and take it from there...

maelzch

fatolaf

January 23, 2010, 09:26:27 pm #13 Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:38:32 pm by fatolaf
We will see, not sure how big this is yet......Even with 12 we can do it...

Right as Mersey Melt is on the 6th, it wont be that wknd...

Rob P

January 24, 2010, 10:36:20 am #14 Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:39:22 am by Rob P
I want to play!! 

But i won't be there Monday- so please do ink me down for a spot.

Savage gors for the win :bash;m:

And ooh ive put some dark elf stuff in my deck now. 

And oooh, play mats..... ninja. 

Garzini

put me down... which means at some point soon I need to buy a set...
Charge.  Flee.  Your Turn.

fatolaf

As and when I confirm the date for the tournie, club members get first dibs on places...

maelzch

it's a given I'm up for this