• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:48 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Deck Size?

Started by maelzch, January 07, 2010, 12:38:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maelzch

Just a quick question about the size of the decks people are playing with (shh Mike!! :bash;m:)

How many cards is everyone putting into a 'custom' deck?

I ask now with the thinking that we should all play the same size at OG, out of ease.
Painted total 2012: Bought:15  Painted: 74
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'
Quote from: Chris TomlinWho knew a Jager obsessed madman could be so creative?

fatolaf

I am currently running 60, of which 10 are neutral but I would be fine with playing against a 50 or a 70, there are pro's and cons to having smaller or larger decks..

I would draw the line against any deck bigger than 70 however...

maelzch

shall we agree on a club max deck size of 70 then?
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'

fatolaf

maelzch

Rob P

70 should def be the max.  ill write here how many i'll bring on monday.

ta

CraigM

My experience of CCG/TCGs (or whatever the cool kids are calling them nowadays) is that the closest you run your deck to the minimum number of cards, the less thinned out it becomes. I guess with invasion your card draw is somewhat defined by your general match strategies (i.e. if you play a lot of quest cards then your card draw will be insane). I don't really see the point in setting a maximum number of cards. There's no real benefit that I can see (other than uber-card-draw decks that don't want to kill themselves), as any person that runs a stupid number of cards is really limiting their chances of drawing their strongest cards - particularly during the first few turns of the game.

I don't know how well balanced the cards are in general, but I'd guess that most people have 3-4 cards in their deck that they really want to get out as often as possible. With this in mind running 70 cards when you could run 40 (or whatever the minimum is) is just making it harder for you to get the cards out that you really need.

Rob P

hmmm- interesting thoughts. 

:cool3:

what do people reckong to running whatever deck size you like?!  does the rulebook say anything on it. 

maelzch

the rulebook does say 50-100 as a deck size, so we could potentially resort to that

fatolaf

January 18, 2010, 03:03:30 pm #9 Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:51:36 pm by fatolaf
We can yes but for some reason (just ask Ritchie) I have always preferred (back in my magic days) to have everyone on the same number of cards...
Just my personal taste...