• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:33:54 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Singles

Started by roland murat, November 09, 2013, 03:24:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

roland murat

I know we virtually only do multiplayer games at the club but in case Ol evry decides to have an event one weekend what type of decks are used in competitive singles matches?
Bought: 20
Painted: 11

Boo at Deathwing. Boo!

fatolaf

As we are now doing singles on Monday, this is a very good subject...

Currently from having watched the latest pro tour videos and having been on the receiving end of some bashings at the last Gamesday..

The current popular decks are

Green/White - Scavenging ooze, Nylea, Mutalvault

Red/Black Aggro - thoughtsieze, doomblade, red aggro everywhere , Chandra , storm breath dragon

Stevo can fill in hopefully with any gaps....

shadownova24

Boros deck with 0 creatures (4th place in premier event this weekend)

11 Mountain
4 Mutavault
3 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

4 Anger of the Gods
4 Assemble the Legion
4 Chained to the Rocks
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Ratchet Bomb
3 Warleader's Helix

Sideboard
3 Burning Earth
4 Chandra's Phoenix
1 Pithing Needle
4 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Wear // Tear
Brought : To much
Painted : not enough

shadownova24

Brought : To much
Painted : not enough

roland murat

Thanks chaps - I may need to do some playing about with my decks to get singles ready one
Bought: 20
Painted: 11

Boo at Deathwing. Boo!

NinjaScientific

November 10, 2013, 05:22:16 pm #5 Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:56:03 pm by Ge
Esper control, rakdos aggro, mono black erebos devotion and mono blue devotion seem to be rocking it at the moment.

cards to watch out for:

grey merchant of asphodel
[card]Boon satyr[/card]
erebos
[card]whip of erebos[/card]
[card]master of waves [/card]
[card]xenagos the reveler [/card]
[card]nykthos shrine to nyx [/card]

Green white decks aren't so bad now that there are plenty of good counters to voice of resurgence

fatolaf

What is going on with the grey merchant then?

NinjaScientific

Usually appears in mono black decks alongside Erebos and his whip, and a whole bunch of enchantments. Also works well with nightveil spectre on the table.  There's also a black enchant land card I forget the name of. Underworld connections maybe.

Basically get loads of black permanents out and then drop the merchant to win.

NinjaScientific

Just to follow up on my last post (I was mobile, with poor signal...)

A deck that does well is the mono black, with erebos and whip both having multiple black mana symbols, nightveil spectre, several black enchantments - all contribute to devotion. So when Grey Merchant drops in turn 6 or 7 you've likely got around 10 black mana symbols on the table, so your opponent drops that much life and you gain that life. Nasty.  If I'm not mistaken, the Merchant's own black mana symbols contribute to this. Pair it up with sanguine bond for a potential auto-win.

A rough deck list I came up with for this (could probably be refined quite a lot):

Creatures:22
4 Drainpipe Vermin
4 Tormented Hero
4 Child of Night
4 Nightveil Specter
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

Spells:14
4 Doom Blade
2 Read the Bones
3 Underworld Connections
2 Whip of Erebos
3 Sanguine Bond

Lands:24
2 Mutavault
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20 Swamp

Basically, try to drop a creature or enchantment every turn until Merchant comes down. Combines very well with the special abilities of Erebos and his Whip which let you bring back dead creatures or gain life etc, and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx gives you an opportunity to cast non-black spells in case the Spectre can steal any that are useful. 

Some removal, some mill/control elements and an awesome win condition.

fatolaf

Looks very good actually,I reckon the merchant could go in my blue/black unblockable deck and achieve the same thing