• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:11:27 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

MTG for Beginners - advice, tips and tactics wanted for playing and deckbuilding

Started by NinjaScientific, September 04, 2012, 11:31:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fatolaf

Quote from: Andy GI on September 04, 2012, 11:52:50 am
Standard Decks need minimum 60 cards, you only have 40 card decks when playing limited / draft games. :D

Aah that's changed since my day...

fatolaf

Old cards are fine if they are in the current block, ,it's just the artwork that has changed...

Unless , this rule has changed as well Andy....

NinjaScientific

Yeah I thought as much.  I'm mainly thinking of Pacifism (I've got about 10 pacifism cards...) from M10 to M13, which is the same rule and artwork for all sets, the only thing that changes is the set number.  I have a few other cards the same.  As long as they're all the same and are still legal, it's all good!

Andy GI

Hey Steve.

If a card has been re-printed in a standard legal set (M13) then yes, you can still use the M11 version, lots of M11/M12 cards annoying rotated out this year (possibly as I think people weren't buying core sets).

The same applies if a card is printed in another set, for example Fling is in M12 but is also in Innistrad.

You can use Gatherer.wizards.com to look up cards / sets to get an idea.

I think the first deck you need to build here is black/white exalted.

White
Rares
Planar Cleansing x1
Serra Avenger x1

Uncommons
Knight of Glory x3
War Priest of Thune x1

Black
Rares
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis

Uncommons
Vampire Nighthawk x2

All of these are a good start.

Combine with such commons like Duty-Bound Dead, Aven Squire, Knights of Arkansa, tormented Soul etc

Stick four copies of pacifism in to stop annoying blockers, and you're ok.

Planar Cleansing might be tricky to get off, but could help if the board situation gets out of your control, in most cases, it won't though, as you're only attacking with one creature a turn, leaving everything else back to block.

fatolaf

Used to be called Wrath of God. No white player ever left home without at least 2 copies

Andy GI

Yep, in mono-white its an auto-include, but in a black/white deck it might be trickier to get it off.

Plus, exalted is an aggro style deck, so there is no real need to remove your solid board position.

But stick it in, play it, try it. Can't hurt.

fatolaf

Quote from: Andy GI on September 10, 2012, 11:58:33 am
But stick it in, play it, try it. Can't hurt.

Correct, there is no wrong way or right way to make decks in Magic, I had huge success in the late 90's with a crazy no monster deck that i cobbled together put of cards where I simply like the artwork and followed the theme of no creatures..
It worked, and then sadly got copied and streamlined into something akin to the millstone deck that then dominated for years..

NinjaScientific

That's really cool guys, thanks for the input.  I'm in Germany at a conference until Friday late (ish) so can't really contribute much to the discussion -  but thanks!

I'll definitely build a black/white exalted.  I have lots of copies of War Priest of Thune if it helps... :-)

fatolaf

Tormented soul is a must for an exalted deck IMO, works so well in the early stages of the game, as he is unblockable

NinjaScientific

Quote from: Andy GI on September 10, 2012, 11:17:42 am
White
Rares
Planar Cleansing x1
Serra Avenger x1

Uncommons
Knight of Glory x3
War Priest of Thune x1

Black
Rares
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis

Uncommons
Vampire Nighthawk x2

So, to this list I can add the following:

1 Aven Squire
4 Pacifism
3 War Priest of Thune (if it's a good idea...)?

Any thoughts on other good cards to fish for?

What about land balance? How many plains, how many swamps?