• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:38 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

noob list

Started by roland murat, February 18, 2015, 07:41:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

roland murat

Ok I finally got some stuff and chucked together a 100 pt list. I have the starter set, a phantom and a defender.

So I thought using this...

Rexlar Brather - Tie Defender, Outmaneuver (40)

Whisper - Phantom, Fire-Control System (34)

2 x Obsidian Squadron pilot - Tie fighter (13) (13)

Is this ok or total garbage?
Bought: 20
Painted: 11

Boo at Deathwing. Boo!

fatolaf

You've got whisper, nothing garbage about him bud (but you could tool him up even more)

underscore

Yeah, you'll get the most out of Whisper with Veteran Instincts (for pilot Skill 9) and Advanced Cloaking Device. That way you can react to your opponent in the movement phase, shoot first-ish and hop back into being cloaked. I hate it, so you should really like it. :)

I wouldn't bother with Outmaneuver on a Defender, personally - the dial makes him a little predictable so I'm not sure you'll get the most of it.

I'm still not sure how to get the most out of a Defender/Phantom list - the pilots are so expensive that you almost want to 2-ship it, but I don't think the Defender is tanky enough for that either. Having a couple of Academy TIEs to screen a cheaper Defender might work though and let it survive on the strength of it's base stats.

Deathwing_Matt

I agree with Pete - I think it could be a fun list to play but perhaps not the most competitive.

Phantoms are a lot of fun - I love flying them because it can be v. difficult to work out what your opponent is going to do with them. I fly Whisper with Veteran Instincts and Advance Cloaking Device. This is because the Phantom is most vulnerable when it is de-cloaked and adding those upgrades minimises the time in which the Phantom is de-cloaked. If you have the points a fire control system is also good for getting extra re-rolls.

A couple of low cost TIEs in most Imperial lists is always good for throwing in some 'chaf'  for target saturation and blocking. Maybe downgrade them to Academy Pilots and use the extra two points on upgrades for the other ships or helping to get priority to help ensure Whisper shoots first against other ships with high pilot skill.

The Defenders can be fun, but I wouldn't use Outmaneuver on it. That upgrade is best on the most mobile ships which can get round opponents back and sides - Defenders aren't fast enough for this.

Don't worry about having all the upgrade cards to bring down the club - its not usually vital unless you're going to a tournament and the rest of us have plenty of cards you can borrow. Use some of the online builders or apps you can download on Android to work out what other upgrades are available.
Check out my Tale of OG Gamers Blog: http://ruinsofcaliban.blogspot.co.uk/

Eryst

Defender/Phantoms with a few ties would be fun to play and a good place to start.

I would take Predator over Outmanoeuvre, the Defender doesn't turn well and it's one of the few ships you get Predator in.

Predator allows you to take your focus action while still getting a reroll to ensure you either maximise your hits or convert your hits to crits.

Whisper really benefits from Adv Cloaking Device and Veteran Instincts.

fatolaf

Quote from: Eryst on February 20, 2015, 01:56:42 pm

Whisper really benefits from Adv Cloaking Device and Veteran Instincts.

What Sam said ^^^  :thumbsup:

roland murat

Thanks chaps - I don't have a 'phone than can download stuff but is there a good link that will show what the card are and what they do?
Bought: 20
Painted: 11

Boo at Deathwing. Boo!

Deathwing_Matt

Check out my Tale of OG Gamers Blog: http://ruinsofcaliban.blogspot.co.uk/