• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:45 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Magnetizing Bases/Movement Trays

Started by Berimbolo, November 10, 2014, 12:24:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Berimbolo

Hey folks,

Need some help, I'm finally getting my High Elves painted and need to know some things. I know that you sell it all on here and will be ordering soon enough, just a quick question:

Is the Flex O Magnetic Sheet the one that is applied to the movement tray so that the models magnetize to the tray?

Or do I need to get some thin sheet metal to apply to the tray and then the Magnetic Sheet is the one that's applied to the base of the movement tray so that it magnetizes to the Box its in?

I've never done it before so not 100% sure.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Thanks

underscore

I got the metal sheets and the rare earth magnets: stuck the sheet to the tray and superglued the magnet to a space under the base.

That won't work if you don't have space under the base (say you're using those wooden ones, for example) you may want to use magnetic sheets instead. But it's the GW hollow-plastic ones then the magnets fitted just fine (though cavalry bases can be annoying)... just don't use the GW weak superglue.

Berimbolo

Not totally sure what you mean with Wooden bases?

I'm going to using Rare Earth for the models (GW Bases), I was unsure of the sheet when applied to the movement tray (both on top and on the bottom of the tray) that it works with both the model with the Magnet and the box it will go in with another magnetic tray.

I am intending to get some MDF made trays from Ebay though?

Thanks.

Pip

Hey Jack,

The sheet goes on the tray to hold the models on. I've not seen trays magnetised to a box for transport before, but I assume you'd need to set some rare earth magnets into the underside of the tray and put more sheeting down inside the box - the field lines from the magnets in the bases will terminate in the sheeting on the top side of the tray, so I don't think there'll be any strong attraction through the tray.

I think you would need a custom-cut floor for the box as well, with recesses the same dimensions as the tray - the magnets will hold the tray down, but they won't stop it sliding from side to side. Particularly if you have heavy metal models you might find that when you open the box they've slid sideways and crushed all the others.

I bought my magnetic stuff off Ol so I can show you next time I have the lizards down the club. As I remember there's metal inside the mantelpiece in the club room that magnetised models tend to stick to, so we can test what it's like with and without a tray in the way.

Berimbolo

November 10, 2014, 02:33:01 pm #4 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:54:16 pm by Berimbolo
Hey Pip,

Awesome thanks, yeah I've seen it done before, tired of my models getting bashed about and that I'm lazy and really getting tired of carrying lots of boxes around and then having to put them all on bases and movement trays.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?293817-WIP-Custom-Magnetic-Army-Carrying-Case

This is a good example, probably wouldn't use a wooden box, I was thinking of picking up some cheap Tupper Ware boxes and magnetizing the bottom, plus I'm probably taking my army home at some point over Xmas for games so want it to be easy to carry around.

fatolaf

Metal Sheets line the trays

Rare earth magnets on the bottom of bases of infantry
Magnetic sheeting on the bottom of bases of cavalry, chariots etc..

DONT use magnetic sheeting on the bottom of movement trays, it does not create a good hold as the magnets do not attract each other