• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 03:06:38 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Manchester GT

Started by fatolaf, May 31, 2014, 12:23:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fatolaf

Nor me, block is simply a way to make more money off cards not normally used in standard...

Both Steve and Gui dropped out of the main event after 5 games as neither would make the cut, Steven on 5 losses, Gui on 2 wins and 3 losses...
Both having fun today doing chaos drafts (which uses booster packs from history) Steven got an unhinged booster as his opening pack in his first draft...

BusiMagic

I can't imagine wizards make any money off the cards used in block. No one is buying boosters to get a prognostic sphinx. I guess the better argument is it gives people more of an idea about standard post rotation and is a mix up. Possibly a better pro tour format than a GP one.

Guillaume

The format was quite diverse compared to rtr block, where it was sphinxe's revelation or white weenie. And this block is more skill based than others because of the scry mechanic and what a pro player would scry compared to a beginner, we didn't actually watch the top 8 except for the final so I dot know what decks were played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guillaume

This was the best part of the gp though :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackhoneysett

I'm still excited about playing in a Theros block event this summer, but I can see that it could get stale quickly if everyone does use the same BUG net deck. But I suspect that net decking is a problem with any event, and one sort of deck always tends to dominate by the sounds of it.

I think there are still other decks that work from the Theros set though, from what I have seen... Personally I will be using something very different (mainly because I am too cheap to fork out for the Courser!)

By the way, I want to do a chaos draft. Sounds great fun!

fatolaf

Not convinced the act of scrying is a hugely skilful process for a player, once they get to a certain level of competence..

IMO the true skill of MTG is deck construction (which is sadly hugely diminished due to the Internet) and learning all the cards/rules...
After that it's all down to the mana gods.....

Glad you guys had fun, block def not for me, but next Big UK event I will come along , more for the side events I think than the main event...

BusiMagic

Card selection is pretty important I think there is plenty of skill to scrying. I think the real difference is when you add coursers and thoughtseize. You have such a clear idea about what is in each others hands you have to be very careful about how you use your cards.

Guillaume

bug was 21% of the field, Naya monsters was 32%, mono-black was 10%, junk constellation was 8%, junk midrange was 6%, blue/white heroic was 6%, red/white heroic was 4%, junk reanimator was 3%, and 9% was other (mainly esper, mono-blue and whatever else people decided to run, so there is no net-listing problem, and even if it was its not a problem because people recognise that these decks are the best ones and someone might come up with a better one or better interpretation of one but in a competitive event its stupid to paly a deck that is strictly worse than an other.

fatolaf

So what's in the Naya deck?

Guillaume

stormbreath dragon, xenagos and elspeth