• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 05:18:02 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

M15 - Coming July 18th

Started by fatolaf, May 13, 2014, 04:37:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fatolaf

We will know more soon, and all the usual bits will be on the site soon for preorder..
But here is something to whet your appetite ...

QuoteMagic 2015 products are designed to get new players energized and involved in playing Magic™ in your store. Players follow the story of the cursed Planeswalker Garruk Wildspeaker who's hunting the most challenging quarry of all: other Planeswalkers. Unfortunately for Magic players, that means that he's hunting them!

BusiMagic

Do we reckon there will be more than the 5 planeswalkers that were in M14? Also are we assuming a reprint of Garruk Wildspeaker from M11?

fatolaf

Quote from: BusiMagic on May 13, 2014, 07:10:28 pm
Do we reckon there will be more than the 5 planeswalkers that were in M14? Also are we assuming a reprint of Garruk Wildspeaker from M11?

I reckon there might be a few, plus one or seven cards that kill PW's or do horrible things to them....

Guillaume

There will almost definitely not be more than the usual 1 of each colour methinks because they don't like having multicolour cards in core sets so it would either be 5 or 10 (as in a core set there is an exact balance of colours)
Also garruk wildespeaker is just garruk's name, which they use for everything (eg when doing the fluff for journey they called ajani ajani goldmane as that's just his name.) I definitely see more pw hate as that's big right now due to the dominance of walkers. I also think well see a reprint of chandra and jace, as they have had too many incarnations (4 each in mono colour which is more than any other) of course I assume it will be of memory adept and pyro master as they were the not balanced of the incarnations.
I think garruk Liliana and ajani will be new ones.
Oh and us in the dark side of magic (control players) are all hoping for a reprint of blue sun's zenith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatolaf

Guillaume

I'd quite like faeries to make a reaprearence

BusiMagic

I would like a tribal set to replace Ravinca personally.

Guillaume

Probably not gonna happen because of the popularity of multicolour stuff, I reckon going back to alara, innistrad or zendikar as behind ravnica they were the most popular sets and all featured strong multicolour elements (not really innistrad but flavourwise it was by far the best set

Guillaume

So the only real shot mono coloured tribal has is in the core sets

BusiMagic

Could try multi coloured tribal. I believe that the next set is on an entirely new plane. I assume they will go back to Alara at some point though.

Guillaume

Well I hope it's better than theros cos I didn't particularly like that, I havnt heard much except that there wil be emphasis on multicolour

fatolaf

Quote from: Guillaume on May 16, 2014, 11:52:21 am
Well I hope it's better than theros cos I didn't particularly like that, I havnt heard much except that there wil be emphasis on multicolour

Agreed, Theros on the whole IMO has been a big let down, simply,encouraging Death Star units and build which I have always detested.
I like scy. But don't like heroic, inspired , strive and the huge emphasis on enchantments....

Will be v sad when RTR drops out, hoping that M15 and the what ever comes after makes up for the loss of a great block...

Guillaume

Strive is just kicker with a new name, I like that fine, I just don't like auras in general

BusiMagic

I have really enjoyed theros limited and so far block constructed has been fine. I don't think it fits well with RTR in standard. Bestow is a nice mechanic and it has made auras more viable away from hexproof which is no bad thing.

fatolaf

Compared  to Innistrad and Ravnice it just did not work for me, my decks currently still comprise 90% RTR cards and very few Theros..

BNG had to be one of the worst releases ever, and i have been playing this game very nearly since the start...

I look fwd to M15 hugely and hope it has some fun themes

Guillaume

well not much changes from one core set to the next, i wouldnt get your hopes too high

fatolaf

Quote from: Guillaume on May 16, 2014, 05:17:07 pm
well not much changes from one core set to the next, i wouldnt get your hopes too high

i have played through about 12 of them so far, loads has changed  :wink;m::

BusiMagic

Agree BNG was weak. However this block pro tour has thrown up some great lists. I think in a years time people will appreciate Theros block more than they do now. Journey has some great cards.

Guillaume

Bng was a more powerful set than journey

Guillaume

It didn't have the wow factor of cool looking pointless abilities (athreos) or the stupidly overrated deicide but it had way more utility and way more cards will make it to standard and even modern (with bile blight and brimaz)
And the block lists for this pro tour are weak as hell, I'd consider my bug deck tier1 and it couldn't hold a candle to rtr block, innistrad block (although that was truly bent, picture the best legacy deck ATM as in miracles and that's it) and it sure can't stand up for itself in standard as even tier 2... No I'm not happy just for the fact that the set is so weak

Guillaume

And the core sets are different one to the next but the themes are the same, as if they all come from the same cycle

fatolaf

Quote from: Guillaume on May 16, 2014, 10:55:47 pm
And the core sets are different one to the next but the themes are the same, as if they all come from the same cycle

Full aware of that buddy, I have played through a lot of them over the years  :wink;m::

But there are a lot of old cards that I would like to see come back...

roland murat

Just to add to the debate from a different perspective. I've only really played the game since M14 so my decks are mainly built from the Theros block. Only the Mill deck makes use of RTR cards and I've been moving away from M14 cards ready for M15.

I like the Theros block. The heroic thing is ok, although tricky to get real value from if lots of cards have it, and the mechanics are simpler to pick up than some of the older cards I've seen. For a new player who doesn't take it too seriously thats a good thing. How the new stuff blends with my current approachs will be interesting but I'm hoping I will be able to adjust my decks rather than having to totally rebuild. Having said that, the good old Mill deck may well disappear if it doesn't get M15 support.
Bought: 20
Painted: 11

Boo at Deathwing. Boo!

fatolaf

It will. There are always mill cards, would not be suprised if the millstone came back, then you can do som proper milling

Guillaume

Millstone has been in every core set since m10, probably gonna come back.
A card that is in it is genesis hydra, it's xxgg and comes in with x +1/+1 counters on, and, look at the top x cards of your library and put all creatures with cmc x or less onto the battlefield under ur control (basically a combination of genesis wave and primordial hydra) which with nykthos and all the stupid amounts of mana going around seems really ridiculous unless a wrath of god gets reprinted

fatolaf

There will need to be some board wipe, not sure [card]Anger of the Gods[/card] will be enough once Rav stuff drops out

Guillaume

They probably won't print it in the core set cos it'll mean control are too powerful at worlds and pro tour m15, will probably have it in the next set though

BusiMagic

Could see a reprint of rolling earthquake if horsemanship comes back in khans. Still not a top tier boardsweeper. Would really hurt control of Theros is a pattern and all sweepers are conditional and/or expensive.

Guillaume

There will be a sweeper when the standard season begins, i think khans is a modern season so there might not be a sweeper, but if not there will be one in the next set (I mean a 4 mana one bot a crap overcosted one)

fatolaf

I remember a certain artifact from Urza period that would take 3 turns iirc to charge up and then all permanents were destroyed, that was great.....

Guillaume

Yh jack used it against me in the cube