• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 11:48:31 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

3D6" From Rage Quit - 2014 Edition

Started by TkaiC, January 04, 2014, 03:46:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TkaiC

Today I had to spend time arguing about kilt measurements.  Why.  Just...why?

Anyways, back with gaming, I should have said, this month is about clearing some of my 'other projects' and getting things ready to start in July.  Then my first month will probably be:

WoC - A chariot and the dogs (200pts)
b]BA [/b]- A Baal Predator (Don't have the book to hand but it's close to 200)
Bretts - Bit of a cheat, but 40 bowmen, some of whom I've already started but another unit including Bertrand the Brigand and pals as well (240pts +braziers)

Prior to getting stuck into ATOG, I really need to finish off some more CSM bits.  I have some lovely old metal berzerker models to paint and I should have some bikes done by tomorrow night too.
On twitter @tomfeattom - I talk about my band, rock climbing, baking and am sometimes funny*.
*Funniness is subjective and in no way guaranteed.

lagar312

Is that your London calling list Tom?
Were's your fortitude other than the BsB and cannon ball magnet.... i mean Galrauch  :ashamed:

Loving the Mouslings btw  :thumbsup:

TkaiC

That was the Waagh That Was

Another Spoon joins the collection.  Had a mare of a day before getting to Wandsworth, fortunately Sam could step in to cover my first game.  Playing in accordance with the Tactica Clementicus he lost.  I continued this theme for the next two games.  In conclusion, my Skaven list...didn't work.  This was about 50% list writing (I stand by the Vermin Lord, but the Poison Wind Mortars were a complete waste of 200pts), 45% poor tactical decisions (getting my Plague Furnace flank charged in both games kinda indicates I do not know what I'm doing, forgetting a unit had Flame Cage cast on it and so massacring half my Warlord's unit for absolutely no tactical advantage confirms the hypothesis) and 5% bad dice (well, we always blame the dice).  Plus side, my two games against Giles (Undead) and Jonno (High Elves) were against very fun opponents so cheers guys!

I'm now going to be play testing a variety of armies for London Calling.  The main themes have to be:

1.  Lots of banners to ensure Fortitude.  But must be careful that these units don't get trampled and therefore give up extra VPs from losing said banners.

2.  Plenty of (fast moving) units as the tournament has a variety of missions that require you to have more units than your opponent in various places

The options:

Bretts - Fast moving, but without a lot of practice the long lances of knights may prove tricky for me to use effectively.  Also, new book coming out shortly (allegedly) so I'll just keep painting the models I like rather than draw up an actual army at the mo.

Skaven - Contenders.  Banners aplenty, plenty of rat darts/swarms to sneak around capturing table space (although durability will be an issue) and, of course, the Hell Pit Abomination is broken.  We know.

Warriors - Pricey to have many banners and probably lacking in the sheer number of units needed to capture table space, but balanced by serious durability and killyness.

Isn't this meant to be a PLOG?

Yes it is.  I have in fact painted some CSM bikes up, but the new Mrs Clements has selfishly taken the camera (aka her phone) to work with her, so I'll put up some photos another time.
On twitter @tomfeattom - I talk about my band, rock climbing, baking and am sometimes funny*.

cunningmatt

Sounds like I missed out on Saturday!

I'd go Bretonnains, you know you want to!! Gallop, Gallop, Gallop!!

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

TkaiC

So we're in July.  To get the ball rolling, here are my WIP shots for my armies:

Bretts (c.50pts, WIP)

Not the greatest paint job, but the red/yellow gives a nice finish I think and I'm happy with the base.  My plan is to have 3 'types' of archer - these red/yellow guys.

These guys for Bertrand's Brigands

The brazier unit filler will be for the third type, my Mousillon (evil...) section.  Initially these were going to be made from crypt ghouls but, well, they looked rubbish so I'm back to the drawing board on them.  Zombies probably.  Hopefully have all 3 archer units well underway before the month is out.

Blood Angels (265pts, WIP)

Ah, choosing wargear by asking someone who knows nothing about 40K "What shall I put on these?", cue Powerfist, Hand Flamer and Thunder Hammer adding a massive 65pts to this unit of Death Company!  Add 100pts of Chaplain and it's the month's input and a bit.

Bit of a cheat as I started these before I even got married, but still lots to do before they're finished.  Annoyingly I added too much blue to their highlights so they don't look black enough at the moment, hopefully brightening up their details and another Nuln Oil wash will rectify the situation

Warriors of Chaos - 18pts (WIP)

Here's the test model for my marauder horsemen - they're flail wielding Khorne worshippers, hence the red.  My first time trying snow bases using a sprinkling of bicarb onto pva, I think I may be doing it wrong as all the powdery bits fell off after it'd dried, leaving a more 'slush' look.  Boo. Another 4 of these, plus a champion and the unit's done.  Then I'm intending to do a chariot as well to get over the 200 mark.

AND THE REST

I've finished off a few more Chaos marines, plus the original 40k Man In Black, the Emperor's Champion:

Messy (World)eater, clearly.

I have no use for this guy, I just like the model.  Does anyone even play Black Templars anymore?

And, as I said before, I've half done my CSM bikes now:

All needing more work this month, but not a bad start!

Steve H

Well done Tom!!! I really need to get my stuff posted!!!
In the style of Tom Hale... F*ck Ushabti!!!

cunningmatt

Really like the dirty yellow and reds on the Bretonnian peasant - how did you base it?

Test Marauder also a favourite, liking the subtler use of red than the average Khorne army.

Good to see some Tale WIP stuff posted!

TkaiC

July 19, 2014, 12:09:16 pm #27 Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:18:22 pm by TkaiC
54 points in 11 days...

Ah cheap archers, the backbone of my proposed Brett army.  Annoyingly, this means that it'll take quite a few to fill up the 200pt monthly target for The Tale that's...apparently...running.

First unit of 10, with stakes:

I've now realised the point of a brazier is to fill the gap from a 4 man stake base and a 5 wide rank...will paint one up sharpish - that takes this unit to a whole 65 points!

Stupid, stupid Tom.

Now, the 10 above are all lined up quite neatly.  Foolishly, with the next unit, which will be 20 strong with full command, I used the slot bases where the gap is on the horizontal, rather than diagonal of the base and so the unit doesn't rank up.  Grr. 

Especially as this didn't use to be a problem for Bretts:

(NB, Bertrand and his pals are currently being stripped of the paint job I've inherited here via Ebay!  As you can probably see, the archers are awaiting highlights, eyes (I HATE PAINTING EYES) and basing)

Now this leaves me with a few possible solutions:

1) Leave a little gap.
2) Create some sort of unit fillers for the front rank
3) Re Base

3 is admitting defeat and so not an option.  I'm intending to go for 2, but reserve the right to be grumpy when it didn't work and claim 1 was the right choice all along!

Finally, if anyone wants some old Eldar, Sisters of Battle, a Lahmian Vampire or some other old fantasy bits, please have a look at http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3950.msg59089#new and help me reduce my storage needs!

cunningmatt

Nightmare I hate ranking up disasters - my OCD can't cope!! Does any one trying to rank my 4th edition Fiends of Slaanesh - so upsetting!!!

Bowmen look good though, and Bertand and co are cool models.

You still have at least one competitor/cohort, I have been painting my Foresaken for Month 1 this weekend.

TkaiC

T Minus...5...

Right, the end of the month is approaching and disaster has struck in the Bretonnian camp.  I have run out of Calthan Brown (which I use for the bases) and bought some Mournfang Brown which apparently replaces it.  It doesn't, it's much redder.  So, the archers are on hold whilst I order some Army Painter Leather Brown, which the internet assures me is the same as the old Calthan shade.

I have (almost!) finished the Marauder Horsemen:

I just need to highlight the eyes on the horses and add some modelling chain between the axes on the champ model.  Irritatingly, I've realised that if I want to take Warriors to London Calling...I need to have them painted, so the WoC are out of the Tale, leaving my mighty Blood Angels to carry the torch!

I've also all but finished the Death Company now, again just some minor highlights on the blood drops (to make them 'jewels') and a bit of gold to cover the yellow on the bare-headed guy's shoulder pad.