• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 06:35:34 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

3D6" From Rage Quit - 2014 Edition

Started by TkaiC, January 04, 2014, 03:46:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TkaiC

Of Rats and Men...

So, a month and a bit since my last update and what's been happening?  Well I've decided that my Blood Angels will be joined by some Space Wolves and that I'll be painting up some Emperor's Children to join my Iron Warriors to cover all flavours of marine.  I've assembled most of my new Warriors of Chaos Army but my painting?  Well, it's stalled a bit.  I've been getting stuck around the base painting stage of each model I try, with one exception.  My almost entirely neglected Skaven have got a whole 500pts worth of reinforcements!

So...what does 500pts of Skaven look like? Either a sea of rats or...

This guy!

I'm pretty happy with how's he turned out, particularly after I found that using Bleached Bone for highlights on green works really well, or even if you use it for lightning as I have here.  Unfortunately, the eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed one of my cats somewhere in the background of the photo.  Yeah.  Cats v Rats.  He decided to knock it off the mantelpiece almost immediately after that photo was taken and so...

I have some gluing to do again!  The other side of the halberd shows that my lightning looks less good here, basically my usual problem of a few too many lines - must learn that less is more!
On twitter @tomfeattom - I talk about my band, rock climbing, baking and am sometimes funny*.
*Funniness is subjective and in no way guaranteed.

cunningmatt

Excellent work, sir green warp lightning looks great. Hoping my High Elves can repeat the victory of the cat!

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

bart

Angelus Mortifer

Very nice mate :cool3:

(I should really post some more stuff again..)
"Sanguinius. It should have been him. He has the vision and strength to take us to victory, and wisdom to rule once victory is won. For all his aloof coolness, he alone has the Emperor's soul in his blood. Each of us carries part of our father - Sanguinius holds it all." Horus

TkaiC

April 06, 2014, 10:24:30 pm #14 Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:32:29 pm by TkaiC
Mars Attacks!

So, often I have an idea and then, er, never get round to it.  This time, dear reader, is not one of those times.

I said my new Imperial Guard were going to be Adeptus Mechanicus themed and, in the light of alleged point reduction for Stormtroopers, it seems a good time to get some painted up...particularly as there's a certain Kill Team campaign in the offing...set on a Forge World where <<REMOVED BY ORDER OF THE INQUISITION>>

Ahem, anyway, the AM as I'll snappily rename them, are the wierdy geeks of the 40K world who are actually not very good at technology after all.  All the really good stuff was invented ages ago (like Centurions, who've *always* been around) and the new products of the forgeworlds are just inferior copies. And titans.

I'm not building a titan.

Instead, I decided to paint a Kasrkin red and grey and see how it turned out.  It looks like this:

I'm quite happy with the result.  Halfords Red primer  for the red, highlighted with Mephiston Red, the grey is in fact Mid Blue from Tamaya colour.  Black is, er, undercoat black and the metal is, er, boltgun metal (wow, intricate painting here).  Then the visor is catachan green highlighted with scorpion before a hefty dab of bleached bone that the flash has *really* picked out here. It's not that bad on the model, probably.  Also, I picked out the trim of his boots in bright red, because these guys get the best gear - Louboutins included.

The numerals on the shouder pad facing the camera are transfers whilst the other shoulder pad has a magma pattern (as per the juggernaut a few posts back).  They have hot shot lasguns you see.  Hot.  Like magma.  And Mars is, well, an arid dust bowl without volcanoes so we'll just stick with the hot shots bit.

The base will be light grey and trimmed with brown (as per the techpriest/servitors from before) as I think this offsets the red nicely.  All in all I should have two squads painted by the end of next weekend, just in time for the new book and the sad, sad news that I actually do need a couple of those ugly Taurox Primes.
On twitter @tomfeattom - I talk about my band, rock climbing, baking and am sometimes funny*.

TkaiC

All change, all change...

Right, having got the new Astra Militarum book, I'm not exactly chuffed to pieces with it.  Some decent changes but they've nerfed my favourite character (Sgt Harker) and got rid of Sly Marbo entirely.  Well, until they release a cash in Dataslate, obviously.

That moaning aside, the lists I'm drawing up have only a few Stormtroopers in them, also, the price for the Kasrkin has got a bit silly on Ebay.  Long story short, I have no Kasrkin anymore, so the previous update is entirely irrelevant.

I've been painting some Death Company...starting with:

Death Company Tycho.  Now, he should be awesome - special ammunition, ignores armour in assault, all the usual Death Company frills of Fleet, Feel No Pain and Rage but...and it's a big but*...he can't join units.  So it's just one very angry man running across the battlefield, shouting incoherently.

Wait, that is awesome.  So, basically I'm going to have a Land Raider Redeemer with one really angry marine inside, all for the bargain price of, er, almost 500pts. 

So, more sensibly, I've also started painting some other DC.  The aim is to have 8 painted to be deployed with Corbulo and a Chaplain either from a Drop Pod if I magically find one super cheap somewhere or, more likely, in the afore mentioned Redeemer.

I've also been going through some of the things I've bought purely as a painting project and found Mouslings.  These are Reaper Miniatures oh so twee take on standard Fantasy tropes and, well, I love them.  I've painted the Mouseketeer first:

Who is perhaps not as angry as Tycho, except that he is furious.  Bh dhm tsh!  Fur-ious. Furry.  He's a mouse.  Ah shut up.

Anyway, he's only little:

But has plenty of friends who I'll be painting this week as I'm actually off work for a change, fabulous!

*And I cannot lie.

cunningmatt

Haha loving the Mouseketeers!! Look great. Shame about your favourite characters, but any fun opponent would let you take a character from an old book. Having played against Sly Marbo though, that won't be me!

TkaiC

It's all just grist to the Forgotten Characters Advent Calendar mill anyways  :thumbsup:

TkaiC

Warning - There has been no post in this topic for at least 30 days.
Please consider starting a new topic unless you are sure you want to reply.

Oh shh forum, yes I do want to reply.  Right, the ongoing nightmare that is wedding planning continues to ruin all of my plans as far as the hobby goes.  Luckily, the joyous date is just around the corner (a week tomorrow...erp!) and after that Mrs Tom is stuck with me and I can hobby as much as I darn well please.  Well, as much as work lets me.  And Mrs Tom.  Sigh, time for more unfulfilled promises...

Where we are

I finished the Mouslings!

Where we're going...A TALE OF GAMERS

I love the Tale of Gamers challenge, because I actually did manage to keep a promise.  Once.  I made my CSM Iron Warriors with some actual conversions and stuff, which made me very happy.  A new one's been proposed and I'm going to try and enter 3 times by painting units for my Warriors of Chaos, Blood Angels and Bretonnian armies simultaneously.  Which means they'll all just be red probably.  I should also be doing Astra Militarum as well, there's a strong chance the BA may sit in storage til the new book comes along.

I have lists in mind for each, comments and criticism welcome.  They're not meant to be push overs but definitely on the fun side.  This week, I introduce my 2500pts northern barbarian horde...THE WARRIORS OF CHAOS!  The over riding theme of the army is speed.  The only infantry choice are Ambushers and everything else is pretty much a Turn 2 charge threat.

Lords

Galrauch
I started off loving this model, now I've actually got it, less impressed.  I should definitely have got a Black Dragon and converted an extra head but, it's still a dragon, and fluff wise he's immense

Heroes

Exalted BSB, Mark & Steed of Slaanesh, Flail
I like the hellstriders.  A lot.  And adding a killy champion to them is a good idea I think.  Plus it's one of the few ways of having a BSB who can keep up with Galrauch and reduce the risk of him biting his own head off
Wulfrik The Wanderer
Two reasons. Great model.  Great back story. Oh, and Seafang.  So three things

Lots of Core
24 Marauders, Flails, Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh Fearless S6 ambushers, done
3 Lots of 5 Dogs deployment drops/chaff
2 Unmarked Chariots zoom, zoom!
5 Marauder Horse w/flails zoom, zoom!
5 Marauder Horse w/spears and shield zoom, zoom!

Special
9 Hellstriders even more zoom, zoom!
Chimera zoom, zoom! With wings!

Waste of Rare points
Giant
Giant
2 big stompy guys, still fast, add some monster killing options as well as infantry eating shenanigans.  I have the old Marauder model for one and a plastic one for the other

cunningmatt

Wow sounds harder work than planning the wedding! Good luck!