• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 04:06:39 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

3D6" From Rage Quit - 2014 Edition

Started by TkaiC, January 04, 2014, 03:46:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TkaiC

Haven't seen Tom in a while...

Ok, my lack of love for Warhammer is currently being caused solely by my job which, whilst highly enjoyable, keeps sending me outside the M25 on Mondays and Thursdays.  However, I've been getting some of my painting done and figured rather than have army specific threads, I'll do one for all my projects this year.

My 2014 projects are Dreadball teams (I have 4 after OG's sale last year), small(ish) Imperial Guard and Blood Angels armies, finishing my Skaven and Chaos Marines and then with two (yes, I've already added to my resolutions lists) further ideas - a Mousillon Bretts list (so mutants, undead *and* knights) and a small Fallen Angels contingent led by Cypher as I have the model and he's got new rules.  No purchases anticipated, I'll use the Dark Vengeance Dark Angels and my CSM spares (I need to learn to sculpt robes, then it's all good!).

Now, I had a week off for Christmas and got some painting done, plus I spent this morning doing some more and so, on with the pics!

DREADBALL:

My Orx team, they have Orx Guards and Goblins Jacks - so basically a roster of Vinny Jones and some little guys who actually get the ball.  The playing style seems to be hitting the other team off the ball. They've been base coated, washed with Devlan Mud and then a simple highlight added so are "table ready" rather than finished.  I'll be aiming to add weathering/play damage to all the models in due course.

A close up on one of the Orx Guards, I love this model but it just shows how much tidying up I have to do!

Their adversaries, the Trontek 29ers.  A human team, they've got Guards, Jacks and Strikers and play a more running/passing game.  The colour scheme is taken from artwork in the rule book rather than the painted models on the Mantic site, which are metal bodied with blue/white helmets.  I like green.

I know, I know, *amazing* freehand work.  Stop, you're too kind.  And there's too much flash on these models for me to get it all off, seriously, painful to clean.

IMPERIAL GUARD

So, my thinking is I'd like a force that can ally with my Marines of all shades (Loyal and Traitor), so the Guard are a good idea.  To keep with my Iron Warriors the first guy I've painted up is a Techpriest Enginseer, he's either the twisted acolyte of a Warpsmith when they're Traitor Guard or the Nick Knowles of 40K, desperately undoing the evil of the Cowboy Builders in Space  for the glory of the Emperor.  Well, it makes sense in my head.

He needs some troops to lead and I have a soft spot for the old metal Catachans.  Ebay implies no one else does so these were a bargain!  I can see why no one likes the plastic ones though, but again Ebay provided a large box for cheap.  Once I can bring myself to paint them my infantry numbers will be complete.

I haven't painted the mortar yet so this guy looks particularly stupid, strolling around battlefields with his lucky shell.

And it wouldn't be Guard without tanks, so here are two I've started.  Little does the brave Tank Commander realise the beast is actually behind him!

Bloody Outflanking units!
On twitter @tomfeattom - I talk about my band, rock climbing, baking and am sometimes funny*.
*Funniness is subjective and in no way guaranteed.

cunningmatt

Wooo hooo! It's back for 2014!

Glad to see your ramblings will continue. The Dreadball stuff looks really good, how are you going to base them? Football style pitch? Have to drag my ass down the club and give you a game.

Plus liking the start on the Imperial Guard - tanks are fun! I promise I will paint more Ultramarines and actually give you a proper game!!

Keep up the good work!

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

TkaiC

The Dreadball pitch (board) I have is futuristic so I think a black base, with some sponge painted white blue will look space-like, maybe.  I need to get some hex bases for them though as annoyingly the boxed game didn't include them, bah!
On twitter @tomfeattom - I talk about my band, rock climbing, baking and am sometimes funny*.

Angelus Mortifer

"Sanguinius. It should have been him. He has the vision and strength to take us to victory, and wisdom to rule once victory is won. For all his aloof coolness, he alone has the Emperor's soul in his blood. Each of us carries part of our father - Sanguinius holds it all." Horus

cunningmatt

Quote from: TkaiC on January 05, 2014, 12:29:12 pm
The Dreadball pitch (board) I have is futuristic so I think a black base, with some sponge painted white blue will look space-like, maybe.  I need to get some hex bases for them though as annoyingly the boxed game didn't include them, bah!

There's nice technique for painting individual stars with a bit of twinkle on that I've done for my Teclis's cloak amongst other High Elf things, which I can dig out if any good?

TkaiC

My continued absence from the club *will* abate this week, honest, probably, almost definitely.  In the mean time, I've picked up some Empire bits which means my original Pi-Rats idea is back on...here's a work in progress of a Warlord type chap. Body/head/sword arm are from the Stormvermin sprue, cloak from a Nightrunner, "parrot" taken from (I think) a Brettonian knight's arm whilst the pistol is from that Empire bits lot I mentioned earlier.

Fair bit still to do on him paint wise but as a test kitbash I'm pretty happy with him.  Now...about those unit fillers...

cunningmatt

Really nice conversion, looks really characterful!

Love the parrot and can't wait to see more!!

TkaiC

That was the month that was...

Despite the minor distractions of New Year, way too much work and organising most of my wedding plans, January actually saw me play a game of 40K, hooray, with my new Khorne themed Chaos Marines.  Whilst there I discussed with Mr Cunningham how I wanted to paint my juggernaut in a "magma" theme.  He dug out a painting guide and here're the results:

I'm not that pleased with it, I think I've been a bit heavy handed, thinner lines would've worked better, as would less magma over all.  It'll do for now but will be re-painted at some point when I'm feeling braver!

Also in the world of 40k, my Guard have a theme, hooray!  It's Adeptus Mechanicus...er...what?  Yeah, the technowierdos of Mars have a new recruit.  This means I need to repaint my tanks...boo.  And my guardsmen are...wrong.  My painted Catachans will remain as they are, and be used as Sgt Harker's Veterans when deployed, because that's an awesome unit for infiltrating stealth/camo-cloak sniper filth whilst the rubbish plastic guys in the strip-bath (not as rude as it sounds) will get bionic'd up to be Adeptus/Borg types.

I'd already painted a Techpriest Enginseer, he's now got some friends:

By which I mean mindless walking tools.

One of whom has the most important job of all, this guy:

What does he do?  Tighten up Leman Russ barrels by himself?  Open really big jars? No, he goes around giving everyone bunny ears for photos.  Because in the grimdark future, someone has to go and make it that bit more irritating.

Seriously though, I think the 5 Servitors and Priest make a decent unit.  I've given them heavy bolters without really thinking of it but for games I reckon the plasma cannons are a bargain, plus the servo arms provide AP1 combat punch.  A Chimera donated from one of the infantry platoons will make them shooty and mobile, restoring hull points on a 2+ and all for 235pts.

I painted the flesh Ceramite White, then a wash of 2:1:2 Drakenhof Blue/Reikland Flesh-shade/Water.  It was meant to look like frozen flesh, not sure if it's worked perfectly, may come back to it.

February will hopefully see me convert up my first unit of Martian infantry and make a start on my Warriors of Chaos...and maybe get some games in :-)

cunningmatt

I like the Juggernaut, think it looks good. Maybe make the lines a bit more angular like lightning bolts if you are going to change, but don't think you need to.

Mars theme sounds interesting (though making me feel hungry for nougat filled chocolate), the Servitors look cool. Looking forward to seeing more!

roland murat

Love the photo-bombinjg there.

On a side note, did you get my PM? If so, if you drop me the details of the skaven stuff I'll start sorting something so we can give Hail Ceaser a shot.
Bought: 20
Painted: 11

Boo at Deathwing. Boo!