• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 05:40:54 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Craig's ice cool bitchin' table!

Started by CraigM, December 11, 2012, 07:10:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigM

Oh that's good to know Ol, I'm getting through this stuff pretty quickly.

I started on a couple of obstructions (in this case, ice pillar type things). I wanted some Los blocking pieces that match the other stuff:

And I got happy with my new jigsaw. I love this thing. Forests, ponds (difficult terrain)  and a big frozen lake (shallow water) coming up!

Jonagon

Nice one, looks like good progress. Gonna putty the ice bergs up as well?

You do love your Jigsaw, I heard the other power tools are getting jealous..

CraigM

Yea the bergs are getting puttied next. I've textured the wooden sections now too, ready for the next stage.

Had to use the drill extensively today to put up curtain poles so that should balance it out a bit ;)

CraigM

I did something a bit drastic. :O

I didn't really like the lack of texture on the table so decided to use a similar method used on the hills and area terrain - I applied something called "Heavy Structure Gel" which is normally used to add to paint on canvas to make it look thicker and more textured. I applied it with a big plaster trowel (which I normally use for re-plastering the crappy old walls in this house). I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out - the big trowel created some interesting effects, particularly the sections that look a lot like ice crystals or something. See what you think:

It seems to be drying clear, which I wasn't expecting - this might mean I can do something fun when I go to paint it, leaving part of the sponged layer underneath visible. I'm not sure yet. My only worry is that I've over-textured it in places and will end up with some wobbly models - that would be sad news.

Also got some trees based and ready for a spray of white to dust them down a bit. They are pretty stable on those bases so I probably won't magnetise them...for now.

Jonagon

Awesome, some of that texture looks the business. Will be interesting to see what happens to it as it dries.

Dave

Quote from: CraigM on January 04, 2013, 04:21:19 pm
It seems to be drying clear, which I wasn't expecting - this might mean I can do something fun when I go to paint it, leaving part of the sponged layer underneath visible. I'm not sure yet. My only worry is that I've over-textured it in places and will end up with some wobbly models - that would be sad news.

If it comes to the worst you could always take an orbital sander to those parts and smooth it back down again.  But as it currently is pictured it looks ace.