• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 09:58:06 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

The Official OG Games 2012 Advent Calendar

Started by cunningmatt, December 01, 2012, 09:54:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cunningmatt

Quote from: TkaiC on December 18, 2012, 08:39:01 am
[spoiler]
Best typo.  A Necromantic Overlord who's on the Great British Bake Off?  Or is a Reeves and Mortimer style massive frying pan to the face?[/spoiler]

He he, that would be useful in the kitchen I guess He says, while searching for the MODIFY button.

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

DarkStalker

Quote from: TkaiC on December 18, 2012, 08:39:01 am
[spoiler]
Best typo.  A Necromantic Overlord who's on the Great British Bake Off?  Or is a Reeves and Mortimer style massive frying pan to the face?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Or maybe the item is only of use after the battle when Melkhior returns to his day job as a pizza delivery rider :p[/spoiler]

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Wednesday 19th December 2012

If you're Amazon presents haven't arrived yet, then sorry but Christmas is ruined they're not coming. Haha! Anywhere here's Day 19:

[spoiler]
19th December: Marco Colombo

Name: Marco Colombo

Original Points Cost: 176 points including the magic items Gem of Lustria, Gourd of Lustrian Wineand the Scroll of Araby.

Background: Marco Colombo the result of genetically combining the explorer Marco Polo and the fictional detective Colombo. Marco Colombo is famous for discovering Lustria, though the Norse found it many years earlier, completely unlike the real world explorer Columbus. He established peaceful relations with the Lizardmen and discovered the Norse colony of Skeggi. Returning with much wealth he became the artist currently known as Prince of Trantio

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War – 5th Edition

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War – 5th Edition, he didn't make the "Get You By" army list in White Dwarfs 251 & 252 (November and December 2000) that is still "Getting You By" as there's never been another book.

Special Rules: Marco is armed with a crossbow and can move and shoot from horseback. Marco can spy hidden enemy units/characters with his telescope, roll a D6 for each hidden character/unit on a 4+ it's location must be revealed. Gem of Lustria re-roll one failed armour save per turn. Guord of Lustrian Wine once per battle Marco may drink the wine at the beginning of his turn giving +D6 strength for that turn only. Scroll of Araby once per game may be used to give him a 2+ save against the affects of any enemy spell (does not apply to any unit he is with).

My Memories of the Character: A bit of Googling found this minature does exist, but I don't know when it came (was in my dark period). Please send complaints, updates and corrections to the usual address.

Person most Reminds me of: Possibly some historical figure, not really sure, no real similarities.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: You write the new Dogs of War book, I'll write Marco's new special rules.

2012 Update: I've said it before no Dogs of War – stop it, just stop it. Naughty.

[/spoiler]

Quick, quick the new character on Procrastination by Numbers is going to be deleted in 5 minutes head there now:http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50087;topicseen#msg50087

P.S. It's not really going to be deleted!

cunningmatt

December 20, 2012, 09:17:43 am #33 Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:04:03 am by cunningmatt
OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Thursday 20th December 2012

Nearly there, nearly there. Come on you can do it you've managed 20 days, stick with us for the last few!! Here's Day 20:

[spoiler]
20th December: Skaw the Falconer

Name: Skaw the Falconer

Original Points Cost: 91 points (including falcons and Flail of Claws.)

Background: Skaw the Falconer lives at the top of an old pine tree, painful, but at least festive. He shuns other Elves instead talking to birds of pray (loser), but commands them to attack his foes like living arrows. And allows players to make lots of "caw, caw" noises while using him.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves - 4th Edition, model released White Dwarf 207 (March 1997).

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves - 4th Edition

Special Rules: Skaw may be a champion for Warriors or Scouts units, or an independent character. Skaw has three falcons that can be used in either the shooting phase or combat phase, to shoot they roll against Skaw's Ballistic Skill, range 24" each hit causes a Strength 3 hit. Falcons ignore penalties for cover and skirmishers and can pick out individual characters who cannot make a Look Out Sir Roll. The Falcons can stand and shoot. In combat they fight using Skaw's Weapon Skill. Skaw has a 5+ save for his cloak of feathers. Skaw is armed with the Flail of Claws (which does not benefit from the usual Flail rules), the Flail always strikes first, characters are not wounded but simply lose 1 Attack for the rest of that close combat phase.

My Memories of the Character: I remember Skaw popping up in the White Dwarf release schedule as I was getting all excited about Bretonnians and the 5th edition Warhammer being out. Though not knowing any Wood Elf collectors didn't give him much of a reason to stick in my memory. Except of course for the stripy trousers, something no longer seen in the Warhammer world and I think it's a poorer world for it.

Person most Reminds me of: Bill Oddie combined with Raven from the popular CBBC series, of the same name. Look it up now, it's amazing!

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Skaw's Falcons I think convert pretty well to the 8th edition without any changes. And he could be made a unit upgrade for the Warriors or Scouts units as opposed to being a separate listed character. The Flail of Claws would need a rework because it's essentially rubbish. Maybe it would work as a bonus attack in addition to his normal attacks, or do we think the falcons are enough? Much to debate. I'm sure you won't.

2012 Update: Update for Wood Elves, you are joking aren't you?! Do Games Workshop even still make Wood Elves!

[/spoiler]

This way you will find another character, over on Procrastination by Numbers: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50113;topicseen#msg50113

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Friday 21st December 2012

With just a handful of days until Christmas, it's probably time to do something, maybe send a Christmas card – but as the king of Procrastination I can't encourage that. Instead why not open up today's Advent Calendar. It's Day 21: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50145;topicseen#msg50145

[spoiler]
21st December: Mordrek the Damned

Name: Count Mordrek the Damned

Original Points Cost: 424 points (4th edition), including Sword of Change, Chaos Armour and [i[Living Damnation[/i]. 398 points (5th edition) ), including Sword of Change, Chaos Runeshield and [i[Living Damnation[/i].

Background: Count Mordrek the Damned is a loner, wondering the Chaos Wastes alone and unloved, with his horse (who we have no idea what they did to deserve such a fate). Abandoned by the Gods of Chaos he had no mark for any God (at a time before it was cool, and anyone could do that stuff). He is fated to suffer eternal life and constant change, mutating constantly like a Little Chef dinner.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Chaos – 4th Edition

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Champions of Chaos – 5th Edition

Special Rules: 4th Edition – Mordrek may not be your general or join any unit. Living Damnation at the start of each turn Mordrek is dealt a Chaos Gift from the deck (discarding Eternal Labour, Eye of the God or Chaos Spawn). He holds up to three gifts at anyone time discarding any excess.

5th Edition – Mordrek may not be your general or join any unit, and comes from the Allies allowance, he takes no retinue. The Sword of Change if the bearer inflicts one or more wounds on an enemy but does not kill him roll a D6 adding the number of wounds inflicted (excluding the first wound), on a 5+ the model is turned to a Chaos Spawn and placed anywhere within 12" of Mordrek moving as usual during the Chaos player's turn. Chaos Runeshield offers a 6+ Save combining with Chaos Armour, any enemy in base-to-base contact may not use a Magic Weapon. Living Damnation Count Mordrek has the following random stats, rolled at the beginning of the game: WS D6+4; S D3+3; T D3+3; A D6+1 at the beginning of each Chaos turn he must reroll one of these stats.

My Memories of the Character: The character I could never use. As an avid collector of Chaos all the other four special characters in the 4th edition Chaos book I owned and regularly fielded. I waited and waited for a model for Mordrek but, much like the Chaos Gods, the Games Workshop designers abandoned him.

Person most Reminds me of: John Leslie, abandoned by all after an early misdemeanour he wonders telly land unloved and alone with no home.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Any Chaos Hero on a horse would do to be the model of Mordrek, you could give him the basic profile of a Chaos Lord. In fact there aren't any unmarked Chaos Heroes on horseback, so I'd mount the Lord from the Lord on Manticore set and a Chaos Steed from the Chaos Knight set:

To be honest his special rules and the Living Damnation reward don't seem horrendous (charging the 15 points the reward was worth in the 5th edition book). The Sword of Change and Chaos Runeshield exist in a similar fashion in the current book, so if you're willing to overlook the fact they breach the 100 point cap on magic items he could still take these.

2012 Update: Despite a sack load of recent Warriors releases there's no return for Mordrek, 8th Edition book is rumoured for next year, so maybe. However to be honest Mordrek's defining characteristic was not having a Chaos God, but with the arrival of Unmarked Chaos Champions, that's sort of gone so I don't think we'll see him again. Sorry!
[/spoiler]

Not the character for you? Head over to the brand new Procrastination by Numbers advent calendar, click here:

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Saturday 22nd December 2012

I literally can taste the Christmas magic in the air, sparkling away, that or the Christmas lights aren't earthed probably. In case I blow myself here's Day 22:

[spoiler]
22nd December: Zacharias the Everliving

Name: Zacharias the Everliving

Original Points Cost: 1,015 points, including Zombie Dragon and the magic items the Book of Nagash, the Staff of Kaphamon, the Scrolls of Semhtep and the Circlet of Rathek.

Background: Zacharias the Everliving studied the dark arts under Dieter Helsnicht despite increased tuition fees of up to £9,000 a year. He attempted to steel the Book of Nagash from Melkhior, however Melkhior captures him and gives him the Vampiric bite (rude for a first date). Melkhior tutored Zacharias in the Dark Arts, but eventually Zacharias tried to steal the Book of Nagash, caught by Melkhoir he fled pursued by Melkhoir's minions. Eventually Zacharias stumbled across a Black Dragon, biting it he reinvigorated himself and turned the Dragon into a Zombie Dragon. He then flew back attacking Melkhior in an EastEnders style standoff. Melkhior was defeated and his tower shattered, Zacharias claimed his trove of magic items including the Book of Nagash. It is unknown what happened to Melkhior, he may still alive plotting his revenge. Dur, dur, dur, durrrrrrrrrrrrhhhh!

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 6th Edition, model released in White Dwarf 257(May 2001)

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 6th Edition, though mentioned in the background of Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 7th Edition.

Special Rules: Zacharias the Everliving knows all six powers from the Necrarch bloodline and has the following magic items: Book of Nagash gives Zacharias one extra spell and allows him to cast Invocation of Nehek on a 15+ casting value raising 4D6 Skeletons, or 4D6+4 Zombies or healing 4 Wounds on an Undead model. Staff of Kaphamon contains bound spell Dark Hand Death, Power Level (4). Scrolls of Semhtep Zacharias can use one of these (Dispel Magic Scroll) a turn. Circlet of Rathek gives Zacharias a 4+ Ward Save.

My Memories of the Character: Big scary thing on Dragon worth lots of points please don't take it against me, thank you!

Person most Reminds me of: No one, he's a Vampire on a Zombie Dragon, who would that remind me off, what a stupid question!

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Zacharias on his Zombie Dragon is still available on the Games Workshop website, as is a new plastic model of Vampire on Dragon, so that's not a problem.

His mighty rules are a bit more tricky. Vampiric powers have changed a bit, but (provided you don't mind breaking the 100 point cap) you could give all The Arkayne Vampiric powers – a similar but smaller to set to what he used to have! None of his magic items still exist, which is good as the Scrolls of Semhtep are vile. Just choose your own set frankly, new book out next year anyway so this is all pointless I'll only have to make up new rules in a month or two!

2012 Update: Zacharias sadly didn't make the Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 8th Edition this year. I know, but on the plus side his model is still available. Maybe next edition? And yeah the bit I said about not having to make up new rules... I'm still not.

[/spoiler]

Please sir can I have some more! You want more?! More?! Ok then, well head over to Procrastination by Numbers for another one: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50161;topicseen#msg50161

cunningmatt

December 23, 2012, 08:49:04 am #36 Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:54:09 am by cunningmatt
OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Sunday 23rd December 2012

Well done if you are still here! There's just one more day to go on this the 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar! And just two more days to visit that Petrol Station for your loved one's gift.

Here is Day 23:

[spoiler]
23rd December: Dechala, the Denied One

Name: Dechala, the Denied One

Original Points Cost: 355 points including the magic item Elixir of Damnation and the Chaos reward Many Arms.

Background: Dechala's origins are unknown, though legend as it she was once a High Elf Princess. Dechala has mutated beyond recognition sporting a tail and six arms. Dancing in combat her cha-cha-cha distracts the enemy turning them into her slave, whilst she herself craves nothing other than escape from all shackles of order. Once wounded by a Champion of Khorne she bares a scar on her face and a grudge the size of Croydon.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Champions of Chaos – 5th Edition

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Champions of Chaos – 5th Edition

Special Rules: Dechala bears a Mark of Slaanesh and hates all those with a Mark of Khorne, or Khorne Daemons. She may not be included in your army if you include any Khornate characters, units or Daemons. At the beginning of the turn Dechala may pick one of the following dances to do until the start of your next turn The Praise of Slaanesh enemy suffer -1 to hit Dechala in shooting and hand-to-hand combat, Dance of Destruction Dechala is at +1 to hit in combat, Daggerdance Dechala may completely block up to three attacks from her opponents, at the beginning of the combat phase select how many attacks she would like to block and from which model(s) (in base-to-base contact) she wishes to block. Each block costs Dechala two of her own attacks. Elixir of Damnation any model that suffers an unsaved wound, but is not killed, by Dechala may never attack in combat, shoot at or cast a spell against Dechala for the rest of the game – Daemons and Undead models are unaffected. Many Arms Dechala gains +1A.

My Memories of the Character: When I returned to Warhammer in 7th edition I found her model on the Games Workshop website and couldn't work out where she came from or whether she was a Warriors or Daemons character (she is a Warriors character).

Person most Reminds me of: Theresa May, like any women her multiple arms make her an excellent multi-tasker, but her barbarous tail and hatred of anyone with red affiliation makes her perfect candidate for the current Home Secretary.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Her model is still available:

Although she does feel a lot like the Daemons of Chaos character the Masque of Slaanesh. Most of her rules still feel applicable, though the Elixir of Damnation is evil allowing her to lock characters in combat and prevent them attacking her – though as most characters are fielding in units these days (including Dechala – I imagine) this would probably be less horrendous as other attacks could decide combat resolution and free trapped characters!

2012 Update: She didn't make the recent Warriors of Chaos wave of releases, but she clings on for dear life on the Games Workshop website! Hold on in there!!
[/spoiler]

If you haven't got the hang of this by now, then there's no hope! New character here on Procrastination by Numbers: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50178;topicseen#msg50178

cunningmatt

December 24, 2012, 08:27:47 am #37 Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:34:38 am by cunningmatt
OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Monday 24th December 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen we are here, it's the moment your life has been leading up to and it will be pointless beyond now. It's time for the final day of the 2012 OG Games Advent Calendar. Without further ado, here is Day 24:

[spoiler]
24th December: Engineer Burlock Damminson

Name: Engineer Burlock Damminson

Original Points Cost: 210 points, including runic items.

Background: Burlock Damminson was an experimental inventor with his friend Sven Goren Ericksson inventor of the mobile phone. They built several new Dwarf inventions such as the warpfire distillery, steam radiophone and stilts so they could reach the biscuit tin on the top shelf. In a terrible accident, that occurred whilst developing a device to wipe Fearne Cotton off the face of the planet, Burlock's arm was blown clean off. Fortunately the Dwarfen NHS was able to replace it with a robotic prosthetic arm giving him super human strength.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs – 4th Edition, model released White Dwarf 166 (October 1993).

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs – 4th Edition, though mentioned in the background of Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs – 6th Edition...

...and the current book, which is also 6th Edition, rather confusingly.

Special Rules: Other than a massively improved Strength (3 more than an equivalent Hero and an additional Wound), Burlock had no special rules. He is armed with a hammer engraved with the Master Rune of Swiftness – always strikes first, and Burlock's Armour is engraved with the Rune of Stone – armour save increased by 1, and the Rune of Iron +1 Toughness.

My Memories of the Character: One of my many Dwarf characters that fought alongside my Dwarf horde back in the day, probably less favoured than Ungrim and Gotrek & Felix my favourites. At the time he was the only Engineer available to the Dwarfs, whereas now you can cram many different levels of Engineer into the army to improve your war machines.

Person most Reminds me of: It would be cruel to say Heather Mills, so Heather Mills.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: The model is still available from the Games Workshop website, along with a host of other old Dwarfs you can purchase.

In terms of his runes all still exist, though the Rune of Iron now gives a 6+ Ward Save, whereas the Master Rune of Adamant is the one you need for +1 Wound. If you wanted to cost up the increased Strength of the Engineer then you could add 60 points to a basic Master Engineer (which would be the equivalent of +3 Strength costed through Runes of Cleaving). Go for it, who knows he may make a repeat appearance in the forthcoming Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs – 8th Edition.

2012 Update: When is the new Dwarf book coming dam you!! Given the host of Dwarf Special Characters still on the Games Workshop surely some of them have to come back? Here of course is still there!

[/spoiler]

That's it for the 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar, if you really need another character then head over to Procrastination by Numbers now: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50183;topicseen#msg50183

Thank you so much for joining us, and I guess we'll be doing this all again in December 2013. Really... Sigh!

fatolaf

Well done Matt for another awesome Calendar  :1st: :thumbsup:

cunningmatt

Quote from: fatolaf on January 03, 2013, 11:23:29 am
Well done Matt for another awesome Calendar  :1st: :thumbsup:

Many thanks dude! Apologies for my absence on the forum/at the club. I will return soon, like a Phoenix from the flames!!