• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 12:29:41 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

The Official OG Games 2012 Advent Calendar

Started by cunningmatt, December 01, 2012, 09:54:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Wednesday 12th December 2012

Who could be in the Advent Calendar today? I don't know. Actually I do I wrote them haha.

[spoiler]
12th December: Amon 'Chakai

Name: Amon 'Chakai

Original Points Cost: 855 points (including Daemonic Rewards The Hand of Destiny, Master of Sorcery and All Seeing Eye)

Background: Amon 'Chakai, which is Japanese for Forgotten Special Character, is the oldest and wisest of the Lords of Change seeing the threads of destiny so clearly he can weave a lovely cross stitch with them on his Singer sewing machine. For a thousand years he has sat immovable on his throne on the Impossible Fortress, presumably watching the full uncut edition of The Lord of the Rings box set. He has now been roused and has a really painful numb bum, so painful his anger can only be sated by attacking the mortal world.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Realm of Chaos – Champions of Chaos - 5th Edition, no model released.

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Realm of Chaos – Champions of Chaos - 5th Edition

Special Rules: Amon 'Chakai can fly, causes terror, has a 1+ Daemonic Saving throw, and hates all Nurgle Daemons and any creature or unit with a Mark of Nurgle. He has the following Daemonic Rewards. The Hand of Destiny one enemy selected by the Daemon player is doomed to die, all shooting and hand-to-hand attacks against this model automatically hit, even if Amon 'Chakai has died. Master of Sorcery Amon' Chakai is a Level 5 Wizard and may draw from the Tzeentch, Dark or Battle Magic decks (wasn't Battle Magic rubbish?). All Seeing Eye may select any enemy character at the beginning of the battle, they must reveal all equipment, magic items, special abilities and spells, if the model is a wizard the Daemon player may select one spell to be discarded.

My Memories of the Character: Remember seeing this in the Champions of Chaos book and thinking, they'll never release a second Lord of Tzeentch model. Now looking at Karios Fateweaver, maybe they would have! Other than that 855 points is a lot, combined with the fact he must be accompanied by 855 points of Tzeentch Deamons as his retinue means a lot of Pink Horrors!

Person most Reminds me of: E.T. – look at the hand in the artwork from the book and tell me you don't agree. Though his name is a little bit like Eamonn Holmes – discuss?

Inclusion in 8th Edition: With no real discerning physical features Amon 'Chakai could easily be represented by the current Lord of Change model:

Amon 'Chakai does feel a bit like a watered down Karios Fateweaver in both rules and background. I mean only 5 spells, who'd want that when you can have 14?! The Master of Sorcery everyone's favourite Daemonic Reward still exists so could be used, the Hand of Destiny seems harsh, though toned to be re-roll failed hits (maybe even just from Amon?) makes it comparable to similar skills. All Seeing Eye doesn't seem too awful, except perhaps against Level 1 Wizards. Though we might have to change the 1+ Daemonic Saving Throw, a 1+ Ward Save would not be fun.

2012 Update: A flurry of Tzeentch Daemons emerged from the warp this year with The Scribes and plastic Screamers, but no Amon 'Chakai – sorry Amon 'Chaki fans.

[/spoiler]

There's a mince pie and a glass of sherry awaiting at Procrastination by Numbers, ok technically it's only another special character! But still: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg49914;topicseen#msg49914

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Thursday 13th December 2012

Unlucky 13, well unlucky for you if your internet browser crashes opening all these pictures! Here's Day 13:

[spoiler]
13th December: Kouran

Name: Kouran, Captain of the Black Guard

Original Points Cost: 4th Edition - 150 points, including the magic items Blade of Ensorcelled Iron and Armour of Meteoric Iron. 7th Edition – 75 points, including the magic items Crimson Death and The Armour of Grief.

Background: Kouran has served in the Black Guard for over a thousand years, becoming Master of the Tower of Grief after choking the life out of the previous incumbent Diathener – he then boiled the flesh from his rival's skull, making a nice table decoration. He became Captain of the Black Guard after hurling the previous Captain (Khanaleth) off the east wall of Naggarond. His current boss is very scared. Kouran cares nothing for the life of his fellow Dark Elves, much like working for the Co-Op, sacrificing over half his army once to lay a trap for the enemy.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves – 4th Edition

Last Appearance: N/A – Currently appearing in Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves – 7th Edition, after being jettisoned from the 6th edition book!

Special Rules: 4th Edition – Kouran can only be included if your army includes the Black Guard of Naggaroth, he carries an extra hand weapon (giving him +1 Attack) and carries Blade of Ensorcelled Iron +1 to hit and the Armour of Meteoric Iron 2+ armour save.

7th Edition – Kouran is an upgrade to a Black Guard unit, any unit including him becomes Unbreakable. Kouran carries the Crimson Death always strikes the enemy with an unmodified Strength 6, and wears The Armour of Grief any model wishing to attack Kouran must pass a Toughness test at the beginning of each round of combat, if they fail they may not attack.

My Memories of the Character: None, I just looked him up now.

Person most Reminds me of: Gordon Ramsay – it's the axe and working style.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Don't be difficult, use the 7th edition rules not the 4th edition ones!!

As far as I am aware there never has been a model for Kouran, fortunately his change of armament in the 7th Edition rules means the standard champion from the Black Guard unit would probably work.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: I really get the feeling Dark Elves are due a new release, I have heard no rumours it's just a feeling in my old painting water. So I reckon 2013 could be Kouran's year. In the meantime my suggestion for replacement has gone Finecast – decide for yourself whether that's good or not.

[/spoiler]

Head over to Procrastination by Numbers for another character now! Do It! I'm not telling you again, ok I will tell you tomorrow: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg49965;topicseen#msg49965

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Friday 14th December 2012

Yesterday was the work Christmas party – oh so tired. Zzzz. Keep your eyes open, here's Day 14:

[spoiler]
14th December: The Knight of the Perilous Lance

Name: The Knight of the Perilous Lance

Original Points Cost: 121 points.

Background: The Knight of the Perilous Lance is very shy, even refusing to appear on this year's Celebrity Big Brother. No one even knows his name, so he is called the "Knight of the Perilous Lance" at tournaments – presumably because there's already someone called Dave.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia – 5th Edition, no model released.

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia – 5th Edition

Special Rules: The Knight of the Perilous Lance has no magic items, but the following special rules which seem to be entitled much like magic items. The Perilous Lance – enemy at a -1 armour save from wounds inflicted by The Knight of the Perilous Lance. The Parrying Shield – The Knight of the Perilous Lance may reroll any failed armour saves.

My Memories of the Character: Despite having virtually no background, unremarkable special rules, no model and being a footnote in amongst a veritable feast of special characters in Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia – 5th Edition (15,000 at last count), The Knight of the Perilous Lance sticks out for me, maybe because he's the only character without some French in his name.

Person most Reminds me of: Any of this year's The X Factor contestants, as I really couldn't tell you their names.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: His special rules are so bland, that they copy into any edition of Warhammer, admittedly he's not a very good character but he's quite cheap so maybe worth inclusion. You'd need a knight model to represent him, with no details listed for him (as he's unknown) any knight model would do. Here's the one I've chosen.

2012 Update: Nothing to report here. Move on.

[/spoiler]

Procrastination by Numbers, blah, blah, new character, blah, blah, click here: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg49993;topicseen#msg49993

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Saturday 15th December 2012

Oh I don't know what to write hear any more. This time last year I was madly painting 50 High Elf Spearmen. Thank god I'm not doing that this year.

[spoiler]
15th December: Taurox, the Brass Bull

Name: Taurox, the Brass Bull

Original Points Cost: 335 points, including the magic item Rune Tortured Axes.

Background: Taurox, the Brass Bull wasn't always brass, he came to fame as chief of his tribe enforced by killing and eating anyone who met his gaze – which made it difficult to ask other Minotaurs to see if he had a stray eye lash trapped in his eye. One day he killed a nasty little Daemon who turned him into unstoppable raging beast, he killed his tribe, and everyone he met for a year and a day (we've all had bad days Christmas shopping). Eventually he destroyed an entire village, and bathed in a river of the inhabitants' blood utterly exhausted. He was then reborn in Brass form. Now he rages on his killing spree, unable to stop or to board an aircraft without setting off a metal detector.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Beastmen – 7th Edition

Last Appearance: N/A

Special Rules: Taurox causes Fear, and is subject to the Frenzy, Bloodgreed and Slaughterer's Call special rules. Taurox has a 1+ Armour Save, but any attack that rolls a '6' to hit and a '6' to wound will kill him outright if he fails his save. Taurox causes D3+1 impact hits on the charge. The Rune Tortured Axes give him Flaming Attacks that ignore all armour saves.

My Memories of the Character: Cool concept, and nice character. Am personally just waiting for a model before he gets added to my Beastmen army.

Person most Reminds me of: Myleene Klass (because she rhymes with Brass).

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Rules clearly aren't a problem, model's a little more tricky. You could either purchase the Doombull kit, now available in funky Finecast!

Or if you're a stickler for the two hand weapons (for the Rune Tortured Axes) then use the old Minotaur Doombull model – someone's got to buy it!

Then I'd suggest getting a hold of a tub of the old Citadel Colour Brazen Brass. Simples!

2012 Update: Really? You really thought there was going to be a Beastmen update in 2012. Are you mad? We got a Plastic Shaman and a few Finecast bits – that was it!

[/spoiler]

Procrastination by Numbers much like Anusol cream cures all your worries head over there for another special character: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50011;topicseen#msg50011

Garzini

Quote from: cunningmatt on December 15, 2012, 09:33:06 amProcrastination by Numbers much like Anusol cream cures all your worries head over there for another special character: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50011;topicseen#msg50011

This got me a few odd looks on the train whilst laughing!
Charge.  Flee.  Your Turn.

cunningmatt

Quote from: Garzini on December 15, 2012, 10:27:07 am
This got me a few odd looks on the train whilst laughing!

One of the 24 links I wrote to Procrastination by Numbers had to be funny (just based on statistics), glad you found it!

cunningmatt

December 16, 2012, 09:09:36 am #26 Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:58:53 am by cunningmatt
OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Sunday 16th December 2012

I've already eaten too much Christmas chocolate, so while I go and vomit you read all about this Special Character:

[spoiler]
16th December: Mydas the Mean

Name: Mydas the Mean

Original Points Cost: 210 points including Sheikh Yadosh, pay chest, five body guards and the magic item Treasure Map.

Background: Mydas's first job was guarding the treasure of the Dwarf Priate Gridi Scumbeard, however when Gridi met his end with his Somali band, Mydas kept the gold. Since then Mydas has kept the money more tightly guarded than a Conservative politician surrounded by benefits claimants never once handing his gold over to attacking or armies (or even his own army)!

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War – 5th Edition. Model released in White Dwarf 226 (October 1998).

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War – 5th Edition

Special Rules: Mydas the Mean is accompanied by five bodyguards, additional (up a total of 20) may be purchased at 12 points each (double for musician and standard). Shiekh Yadosh gets a 5+ Armour Save. Mydas must be the army's Paymaster. The Treasure Map – roll a dice at the beginning of the game to see which bonus is conferred: 1-2 – all bodyguards are at +1 to hit, 3-4 – all mercenary units may re-roll break test within 18" rather than 12", 5-6 – all mercenary units gain +1 to combat results.

My Memories of the Character: A Dogs of War character I actually remember, didn't really understand Dogs of War but I distinctly remember fat man with chest – unless of course I'm thinking of one of Russell Grant's Strictly dances?!

Person most Reminds me of: Russell Grant – see above.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: No you can't sorry, it is banned.

2012 Update: Dogs of War are over, get over it, you can never play with them ever again!

[/spoiler]

Procrastination by Numbers has got so many Special Characters in it's practically burst off you screen and splurged all over the internet! If you want to join in click here: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50020;topicseen#msg50020

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Monday 17th December 2012

This ladies and gentlemen is the final full week of the Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar – I know, don't cry! Instead enjoy Day 17:

[spoiler]
17th December: Valten, Exalted of Sigmar

Name: Valten, Exalted of Sigmar

Original Points Cost: 560 points, including Ghal Maraz – Hammer of Sigmar and the Armour of the Heldenhammer.

Background: Luthor Huss prophet of Sigmar discovered Valten, a blacksmith's son, at the Manchester Auditions for The Empire's Got Talent during the time of the Storm of Chaos. The Empire entered chaotic times as Karl Franz called a referendum on whether to leave the single currency and except Valten as it's leader. Eventually Valten fought alongside Karl Franz as chosen warrior of Sigmar. Presented with gift of Gold, Frankensense, and Elven Steed and Dwarfen Army he lead the forces of The Empire to battle in the Storm of Chaos. He also stole his armour from the ship in Dreadfleet – naughty.

Original Appearance: Storm of Chaos

Last Appearance: Storm of Chaos

Special Rules: Enemy can gain no combat resolution bonus for flank or rear attacks or outnumbering, for any combat involving Valten. Additionally he and any unit he leads are immune to psychology, except that they are stubborn. Any friendly unit within 12" may add any wounds caused by Valten (before effects of the D3 Wounds on Ghal Maraz are applied) to their own combat resolution. Valten may not be the General unless he has higher leadership than every other character in the army, if he is General units within 12" may not use his leadership. He has a 5+ ward save. If Valten is killed, take a leadership test at the end of that phase, if he passes he recovers 1 Wound and remains alive (does not apply if caught fleeing or killed with killing blow). Althandin, Valten's Elven steed, counts as a monster and is barded (offering 5+ save) with no restriction to movement.

Ghal Maraz – grants +2 Attacks, all hits wound automatically with no armour save causing D3 Wounds. Armour of the Heldenhammer – provides a 2+ Armour Save, Magic Resistance (2) and prevents any model (including friendly ones) in base contact from casting spells or using Bound items.

My Memories of the Character: Taken from me by one of those memory wiping things from Men in Black, yes Games Workshop got to me.

Person most Reminds me of: No one, I can't remember him.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: The model is still available, in three different forms (I don't know why but I am sure someone can reply and tell us)!! As Champion of Sigmar (when he couldn't afford a horse):

Chosen of Sigmar when he got a cheap horse:

And Exalted of Sigmar when he went to webuyanyhorse.com and swapped his original horse for a brand new Elven steed:

However you try and convert those rules into 8th edition, he's going to be a monstrous hero to fight against, even his magic items are horrendous. I think most of his special rules would carry across reasonably well, at a high points cost, and if you were playing fun Warhammer with a suitably minded opponent he probably would let you take all those items provided he took some suitably vile characters too!

2012 Update: I presumed there would be nothing to update with this on in 2012, but no I am wrong all three Valten's have been released as a Finecast triple pack. I know I was as surprised as you. No rules of course!

[/spoiler]

Come on you must know by now, Procrastination by Numbers has another character, here he is: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50032;topicseen#msg50032

cunningmatt

OG Games 2012 Forgotten Special Characters Advent Calendar Tuesday 18th December 2012

Day 18, nothing more to say:

[spoiler]
18th December: Melkhior

Name: Melkhior

Original Points Cost: 660 points, including the magic items the Painbringer, the Grimoire Necronium and the Black Cloak of Lahmia.

Original Points Cost: Melkhior is the ancient, of the Necrarch Vampires, he lives in complete isolation in a tower in the Forest of Shadows where he is experimenting on ways to convince the living to join the Undead willing. His efforts are usually concentrated on cold calling and mail outs. His vast torture chambers are filled with wretched souls who replied to his spam e-mails. Melkhoir's grip of Necromantic magic is much stronger than similar Vampires due to the fact he is nearer to death than life. He has decomposed to a skeletal reeking horror and his eyes are pools of pure evil. He spends his time painting hellish visions of an Undead future on human skin and hopes to win the Turner Prize.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 5th Edition, model released in White Dwarf 235 (July 1999).

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 5th Edition, though mentioned in the background of Zacharias the Everling in Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 6th Edition, and again in the current book.

Special Rules: Melkhior rides a flying Winged Nightmare and is subject to Stupidity. He has the following Necrarch bloodlines: Supernatural Horror causes Terror, Death Incarnate any living creature within 6" suffers a -1 Leadership penalty, Nehekhara's Noble Blood (this is improved to) Level 4 Necromancer with three spells and can recast Necromantic spells on a 4+, Forbidden Lore may take a fourth spell, Master of the Black Arts +1 bonus to recast Necromantic spells (making it 3+). Melkhior has the following magic items: Panbringer any enemy model hit by Melkhior is at -1 to hit for the rest of the battle. Grimoire Necronium choose one Necromantic spell at the beginning of the battle, this may be cast once per magic phase with no power cards (it may be recast as normal), each time you use it roll a D6 on a 1 or 2 the book becomes exhausted. Black Cloak of Lahmia no non-magical shooting attacks can be made against Melkhior.

My Memories of the Character: 5th Edition Vampires confused me. Undead had just been split into two different armies which confused me. Necromancers had been powered down and Vampires had been split into five different types. It was very confusing I didn't know what was going on!?

Person most Reminds me of: Decomposed to a skeletal reeking horror with eyes which are pools of pure evil – that's Gillian McKeith surely.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: The constant changing of the Vampire Counts books and my general poor level of Vampire knowledge makes this hard, the Vampiric powers Master of the Black Arts, Supernatural Horror and Forbidden Lore still exist (though in different forms and will slightly break the 100 point barrier) so you could create a Vampire Lord with those powers and give him Stupidity, magic levels can be bought separately. As for the magic items, they've all gone now but the rules for Painbringer and Black Cloak of Lahmia transfer to 8th reasonably well and don't seem ridiculously overpowered. Grimoire Necronium does however seem like an opportunity to let Vampire Counts players abuse the magic phase even more!

2012 Update: Sorry Melkhior fans, but Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts – 8th Edition, did not see Melkhior bought back from the dead – forgive the pun. Though it did see a few old Undead characters pop up!

[/spoiler]

Head over to the Procrastination by Numbers because... well just do it... http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg50055;topicseen#msg50055

TkaiC

[spoiler]
Quote from: cunningmatt on December 18, 2012, 08:24:56 am
Melkhior has the following magic items: Panbringer

Best typo.  A Necromantic Overlord who's on the Great British Bake Off?  Or is a Reeves and Mortimer style massive frying pan to the face?[/spoiler]
On twitter @tomfeattom - I talk about my band, rock climbing, baking and am sometimes funny*.
*Funniness is subjective and in no way guaranteed.