• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:21:02 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Here be Dragons!

Started by noahtonkin, January 18, 2012, 03:14:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

noahtonkin

January 18, 2012, 03:14:32 pm Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:19:26 pm by noahtonkin
Greetings Everybody!

After a few days quiet contemplation I have decided to join the massed ranks of the painting blog elite...

As some of you may know I'm in the middle of a bit of a rage quite.

There are multiple reasons for this turn of events, some of which exist purely as an existential aspect of my personality. Some however are hard fact. Or at least as close to hard fact as one can achieve in a galaxy where the terms infinite and finite exist and are divisible by each other.

1. Personal circumstances meaning wanting to have a bit of a break from stuff that may get me pissed off (my pissed off tolerance level is quite low right now, in fact I would recommend not to say something which might annoy me, I shall hold whoever says it responsible for my actions, you have been warned...)

2. After 7-8 ish months of playing Ogres when no one played ogres am a little disappointed with the mass exodus to Ogre Kingdoms by people wanting an easy push forward and win army (directed to all you Mournfang spammers, not you Stevo). This is annoying me for many reasons. Partly the fact that I played them when they were shit and know all the tricks, but now can get beaten by people who have no idea about supporting attacks, allocation or making way (one guy claimed there was an FAQ on TWF saying cats could make supporting attacks, but was surprised when I told him my bulls could make 3 supporting attacks even though all he could hit in the unit was characters and champion. He thought if he could hit the champion then hecould hit the nit, and tried to get a ref to say he could, despite me telling him that I'd played the army for the last 6 months and this used to be the only viable tactic of the ogre kingdoms list...I actually wanted to punch him for that). But mainly because I've lost forever General Spangleshard, just when I discovered the joys of shouting 'WOOF!' very loudly mid tournament game. Ah well...

3. My Ogres were painted very quickly to an acceptable tournament standard. They're never going to win any medals but they're nice and coherent on the table. I have plans for a redo with the entire army as dogs of war (slayer pirate Maneaters with BoP, bulls at Vespero's with cloaks and daggers, a Mournfang cav of Venators, 1 with an oversized handlebar moustache. Besiegers as leadbelchers with bolt throwers as their crossbows and Ironguts as Riccos republican guard and Maneaters as Lost legion with a mix of crossbows- pistols and pikes- GWs). However this army is going to be a labour of love, will cost a fortune and need me to learn how to green stuff and convert properly.

Because of this I need a new project.
There were a few options.
VC. With a tasty new book and hopefully less power gamers was a very attractive prospect. However, with having to move house soon I'm not sure I'd be able to cope with a horde army, despite being able to do it fairly cheap with mantic.
Empire Quite like the idea of an entire mounted army but would mean starting a whole army from nothing...

So what does this leave?
Well, far back in the mists of ancient time in the great and glorious days of the former galactic empire life was wild, rich and on the whole tax free. In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high. Men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri. Ahem.

What I mean is, when I first joined the club in the old pub where people played 7th edition, I played High Elves.
The reason for this was I could do an army with minimal models making it easier to carry and more likely that I'd get round to painting it... This final part never happened.
My 7th edition High Elf army was a Caledor themed list, and consisted of a Lord... on dragon. Mage... on dragon, 2 units of 10 archers, 2 bolt throwers, 10 phoenix (dragon) guard and 2 units of dragon princes.
Filth in the extreme. Many was the day I'd run riot over a friend's dwarf army- He tried to shoot my dragon princes, in fact I gave him a beautiful flank shot with a cannon, knowing that it must have rune of fire on. He fires, misfired, took it off, then I told him he couldn't hurt them anyway, the look on his face was priceless. Or run the dragon into a large ethereal unit, only to pull out the amulet of light for those magical dragon attacks!
And so my joy continued until I met Lee, Mr Gateway himself... turn 1, irresistible gateway, take off mage with my 2 scrolls, turn 2 gateway. Take off other dragon. Turn 3, gateway, take off phoenix guard).
Then came 8th edition.
I spent days slaving over the army book, barely eating the perfectly normal beast sandwich so eloquently made for me.
Eventually I gave up.
No list I could write recreated the joys of the Caledor list to my satisfaction.
They promptly got packed away, thrown into the attic and have collected dust ever since (except for 1 or 2 outings, I seem to remember a unit of dragon princes charging chuck in the flank and without any magical interference taking him off. Eat that Mr Cheese-monger Lee!

Anyway, sometime, 2 armies later, I have decided to revisit the pointy eared wimps, and this is to be my electronic narrative of their growth, paint-th and eventual demise when a new book comes out making them this (or whichever) year's must have filth.

But in the meantime, sit back, relax and enjoy the hideously expensive start of my army!

And remember; always know where your towel is.

(Almost all quotes property of Great Publication Corporations of Ursa Minor. See Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for further details.)
Quote from: Mike
Anyone bringing whats considered 'filth' submits themselves for a pre-game roshambo from everyone in the room at the time.
OG Games' latest foray into madness... http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2794.0

House Martell. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. House Tonkin, every sunday morning, Unbowed, Unbent...Broken!

Steve H

Yeah... I love a good ramble-blog!!!!
In the style of Tom Hale... F*ck Ushabti!!!

cunningmatt

I'm sorry we've already had a blog about putting together a High Elf army this slot is taken!  :wink;m::

Good luck, I look forward to seeing how you get on, I've had a lot of fun painting the brightly coloured Elves so I hope they bring back the joy of the game?!

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

jackhoneysett

If the rest of your blog is anything like this amazing rambly stream-of-consciousness, I'm looking forward to it already!  :thumbsup:

I've been having similar Rage Quit-like symptoms, I'm hoping a run of fun/silly games involving things that look pretty (like dragons) will cure it too.

The Trampoline

The new VC book has saved me from my meh-quit at least, mainly because I can paint ghouls and skeletons very easily.
Andy

Follow me on twitter @Andy_Trampoline

spikyandy on the Warhammer Forum

noahtonkin

January 18, 2012, 03:33:07 pm #5 Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:19:49 pm by noahtonkin
Update 1!

Quick I know.
Don't worry; it won't be all that informative!

In this 1st I'm going to let you all know what my army used to look like. Then I'll post some pictures of what I have. Finally will be a little rant about what I want/need for the army in 8th and a few trial lists.

So back in 7th edition we used to play 2000 point games.
We also used to play with a different system of selecting armies that some people may still remember...
None of this percentages lark. It was all down to number of choices.

High Elves, breaking rules as they did needed only 2 core choices.

Below was my fairly standard looking army form 7th.

2000 Pts - High Elves Roster

Prince (545 pts)
Prince. Moon Dragon, Armour of Caledor,
Vambraces of Defense,
The Amulet of Light,

Dragon Mage (435 pts)
Dragon Mage of Caledor, Level 2
Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Protection,

10 Archers, 110 pts
10 Archers, 110 pts

Dragon Princes (5#, 230 pts)
Musician Mus + Standard Bearer
Std, Drakemaster,
The Gem of Courage, War Banner.

Dragon Princes (5#, 240 pts)
Musician Mus + Standard Bearer
Std. Drakemaster, The Skeinsliver, Banner of Ellyrion,

Phoenix Guard (15#, 325 pts)
Musician Mus + Standard Bearer Std. Keeper of the Flame, Amulet of Fire, Banner of Sorcery.

So there we go.
A filthy looking 7th edition double terror causer minimal core list. As I said, it doesn't convert well...

Coming up next will be some lovely picture of what I have in it's rather basic state of minimal paint!
Anyone bringing whats considered 'filth' submits themselves for a pre-game roshambo from everyone in the room at the time.
OG Games' latest foray into madness... http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2794.0

House Martell. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. House Tonkin, every sunday morning, Unbowed, Unbent...Broken!

fatolaf

Good going Noah, look forward to seeing the most expensive DP unit back on the table again (all made out of the mounted lord model)

noahtonkin

Quote from: fatolaf on January 18, 2012, 03:34:23 pm
Good going Noah, look forward to seeing the most expensive DP unit back on the table again (all made out of the mounted lord model)

Yup. Although they may be taking the form of silver helms...

maelzch

Good to see another conversation-style blog! Looking forward to seeing how Caledor convert across to 8th, it may tempt me into doing my Chrace-themed rarrgh list I've been considering!

Quote. Some however are hard fact. Or at least as close to hard fact as one can achieve in a galaxy where the terms infinite and finite exist and are divisible by each other.

Quote...and small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri.
Reading Hitchhikers at the moment?

And so my joy continued until I met Lee, Mr Gateway himself... turn 1, irresistible gateway, take off mage with my 2 scrolls, turn 2 gateway. Take off other dragon. Turn 3, gateway, take off phoenix guard).
Ooops, I now feel responsible for your original rage quit of the HE!
Painted total 2012: Bought:15  Painted: 74
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'
Quote from: Chris TomlinWho knew a Jager obsessed madman could be so creative?

noahtonkin

Quote from: maelzch on January 18, 2012, 05:33:46 pm
Good to see another conversation-style blog! Looking forward to seeing how Caledor convert across to 8th, it may tempt me into doing my Chrace-themed rarrgh list I've been considering!

To be honest I'm only using Caledor for theme.
I don't know how well dragons will run in 8th. And multiple small units of cav are probably sub optimal.
But I'm sure I can elbow in Phoenix guard and white lions to the list. Always thought sword masters died too easily from shooting to make a difference.

Quote from: maelzch on January 18, 2012, 05:33:46 pm
Reading Hitchhikers at the moment?
Ooops, I now feel responsible for your original rage quit of the HE!

Not reading, more listening!
Don't worry, it wasn't you that made me quit high elves, was my own inability to make a list!