• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 11:57:59 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

The Official OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Started by cunningmatt, December 01, 2011, 07:38:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

But he did make it into my TK army as a heirotitan.

cunningmatt

December 18, 2011, 10:39:51 am #31 Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:42:03 am by cunningmatt
Sunday 18th December 2011 – OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Quote from: Dave on December 17, 2011, 11:34:05 pm
But he did make it into my TK army as a heirotitan.

Sounds like good use of a Nagash model to me!

It's exactly one week to go, just 7 days until the big day!! The countdown continues...

[spoiler]
Sunday 18th: Alarielle

Name: Alarielle, Everqueen of Averlorn

Original Points Cost: 475 points (plus 16 points per Handmaiden)

Background: Alarielle is the current Everqueen of Averlorn, co-ruler of all Ulthuan. She is so in touch with nature that birds fly to her, life springs from the ground and even her pot plants don't die on her. During the latest Chaos invasion she was hidden from Dark Elf and Chaos attackers by Tyrion until the battle of Finuvial Plain where the tide was turned.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: High Elves – 5th Edition

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: High Elves – 5th Edition, though the Everqueen is mentioned throughout all the books.

Special Rules: Lots! Level 4 Mage. The Boon of Isha: Any one unit within 12" of the Everqueen may add 1 to all it's dice rolls to hit in the shooting phase. Similarly any one unit within 12" may add 1 to all it's dice rolls to hit in the combat phase (including enemy turn). The Chaos Bane: At the start of close combat phase all Daemon models within 6" of the Everqueen take a wound on a 4+ - wounds count towards combat resolution. Roll a dice for each Chaos Reward or Magic items on the Chaos side within 6" of Everqueen at start of close combat phase on a 1 item is destroyed, 2 to 3 item doesn't work for the close combat phase. The Everqueen has 1 Attack at WS 10 should this strike the enemy is not wounded but cannot fight back this turn (applies to whole model for chariots/ridden monsters). She carries the following magic items: Star of Averlorn (May heal wounds on any friendly character within 12" roll a D6 for each wound recovered on a 4+ - may only be used on Everqueen if there are no other valid targets), Shieldstone of Isha (Araielle and Maidens if she accompanies them, get a "what we would call a ward save" on a 4+), Stave of Averlorn (deal 3 cards to the Stave from whatever deck Araielle draws from, player can keep any or none in the Stave, spell can be cast from the Stave at no power cards, but then leaves the Stave once cast. Can either be discard or Araielle can keep the spell and discard one of her own spells).

My Memories of the Character: None, sorry stopped playing High Elves around 5th edition.

Person(s) most Reminds Me Of: The Angels from Captain Scarlett.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Now it's not like me to not work out how to include these characters in 8th edition, I never shirk my responsibilities, but I am ill and that's a lot of special rules – am I getting any sympathy?

2011 Update: I have nothing new to add, though I did recover from the flu I had this time last year.

[/spoiler]

Procrastination by Numbers is the place where you'll find another special character click here to enjoy: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg37095#new

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

cunningmatt

December 19, 2011, 08:08:27 am #32 Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:16:06 am by cunningmatt
Monday 19th December 2011 – OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Think of something funny to go here please and PM me, thanks.

[spoiler]
Monday 19th: Arbaal

Name: Arbaal the Undefeated, Destroyer of Khorne (as in he destroyed on Khorne's behalf, not he tried to destroy Khorne – got to be careful here I heard Khorne's a bit of a grump)

Original Points Cost: 600 points (4th Edition), 570 points (5th Edition)

Background: Arbaal is a psychopathic murderer who broke down the doors of Prague in the siege and has killed thousands, however Khorne is a tough boss and could turn him to spawn at any minute. All in all a ripe character for inclusion on the Jeremy Kyle Show.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Chaos - 4th Edition

Remember this came in a box with loads of tokens and spell cards, interestingly the artwork has a picture from the Warhammer 40,000 universe on with a giant titan rolling in the background. At least it had a picture though.

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Champions of Chaos – 5th Edition, supplement to Warhammer Armies: Realm of Chaos – 5th Edition.

Obviously work experience doing the army book cover art this week.

Special Rules: Arbaal is instantly turned into Chaos Spawn should he flee for any reason, and is not subject to the usual rules for frenzy despite having Mark of Khorne. He must issue and accept all challenges, should he slay a challenged enemy he may make a further challenge until no one accepts or he fails to kill the target, if no one accepts he may make a normal attack on regular troops. Magic Weapon: The Destroyer – Arbaal has only 1 Attack on his profile, should this hit it becomes 2D6 hits. Hound of Khorne – fights in all challenges (all Flesh Hound rules apply), hound is immune to magic items, hound and rider immune to all spells.

In the 5th edition this was virtually unchanged (even the background was basically word for word the same), except he was 30 points cheaper, The Destroyer became Destroyer of Khorne and gave him 2D6 attacks (rather than 2D6 hits for his 1 Attack – massive improvement) and the Hound became subject to the Monster Reaction test should Arbaal die, oh and the artwork was much better.

My Memories of the Character: Genuinely one of my favourite ever models, loved this when it first came out and went down to Games Workshop on day of release to pick one up. I've always been a fan of the Warriors side of Chaos, my love of the Beastmen is very new, Tzeentch has always had a soft spot in my dark and twisted heart but Arbaal stood out for the forces of Khorne. Really must paint this model and do it justice one day.

Person(s) most Reminds Me Of: Dale Winton, underneath that camp exterior when he's getting out his Lottery balls I'm sure he wants to kill in the name of the blood god and destroy all (for legal reasons I should point out I have no evidence to back this up).

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Probably, seems like a big arse ache though! I'd make him Chaos Lord with Mark of Khorne, challenge rules could probably be left as the current ones as they're very similar. Would be replaced by a Chaos Spawn if he fled, and Hounds rules would stay the same. Points wise the Lord weighs in at 225 points, Hound is similar to a Manticore in statistics roughly so make that 200 points. Destroyer of Khorne (was worth 25 points – needs to be worth a hell of a lot more), based on the price of the Chaos Daemon Sword in the current book, I'd say needs to be valued at about 100 points – so that would make him worth 525 points (expensive, yes but not the most expensive Warriors character by any means). If you were feeling less adventurous the Hound could be replaced by a Juggernaut and the Destroyer of Khorne with the Chaos Daemon sword – but where's the fun in that?

2011 Update: I still love this model in 2011, would painting it up ruin my Tzeentch only Warriors army?

[/spoiler]

Procrastination by Numbers is just waiting for you to come on over and look at another special character: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg37996;topicseen#msg37996

cunningmatt

December 20, 2011, 07:39:46 am #33 Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:07:34 am by cunningmatt
Tuesday 20th December 2011 – OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Today is very exciting because not only is it 5 days until the big day, but today represents the first day you can vote in The 2011 Procrastination by Numbers Awards – woooooooooooooo! Now I know you're excited but remember to check today's Advent Calendars before rushing over to the blog!

[spoiler]
Tuesday 20th: Aekold Helbrass

Name: Aekold Helbrass

He's the only Forgotten Special Character I've painted.

Original Points Cost: 230 points (4th Edition), 248 points (5th Edition)

Background: Aekold bears the most astonishing Chaos gift known to man - no not to look cool wearing sandals and socks. The second most astonishing Chaos gift known to man then – the Breath of Life. Everything he touches springs back to life, friend, foe, flora (not the margarine), fauna and Floella Benjamin.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Chaos – 4th Edition

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Champions of Chaos supplement to Warhammer Armies: Chaos – 5th Edition.

Special Rules: 4th Edition: Mark of Tzeentch, Chaos Armour and Breath of Life (at the beginning of each Chaos turn can recover a wound on a 4+, once slain he can recover wounds but a 6 is required for the first, he reappears where slain. Any model in base-to-base friend or foe recovers a wound on a 6 as well).

In 5th edition Breath of Life remained the same except a 5+ is required for the first wound once slain. Because Chaos Armour became mundane equipment in 5th edition he gained the Wind Blade (Double-handed weapon, roll a D6 at the beginning of the game to determine other effects: 1-2: Aekold can fly. 3-4: Aekold Always Strikes First (still at +2 S for Double-handed weapon), 5-6: Windblade can be thrown in shooting phase, range 12", using Aekold BS, if successful does D6 S5 hits).

My Memories of the Character: Great model, and I quite like the modelling I've done to his base with the vines growing from where he stands (if I do say so myself). Very characterful as he kept returning from the dead, and I'm always a fan of Tzeentch!

Person(s) most Reminds Me Of: Bruce Forsyth, surely he's died several times already.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Got to do this carefully, as it's model I actually own and have painted so could use in a game. Well the rules sound pretty good, though I think he needs 4 wounds, not 2, so Breath of Life can work more effectively. Probably a bit overpriced, maybe make him 15 points including magic items? And probably should include the rule that "If you field Aekold your opponent must immediately go and purchase you a Shakeaway". I think it sounds fair.

2011 Update: Thanks to Lee for reminding me his tongue appears as a magic item in Warhammer Armies: Warriors of Chaos – 7th Edition. A year later, he still remains the only Forgotten Special Character I've painted up, though I've added a few remembered ones this year.

[/spoiler]

Procrastination by Numbers misses you, click here and visit: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg38019;topicseen#msg38019

Sascha1706

I just started following this calendar today, and it brings back so many good memories of playing 5th... :cool3:

Thank's Matt, this is a really cool idea. Looking forward to the last few... :thumbsup:
++Thought of the day: Death is no excuse for failure++

"Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards"
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

cunningmatt

Quote from: Sascha1706 on December 20, 2011, 07:53:24 am
I just started following this calendar today, and it brings back so many good memories of playing 5th... :cool3:

Thank's Matt, this is a really cool idea. Looking forward to the last few... :thumbsup:

Great to have you onboard, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Not that I'm a self publicising whore (I am :thumbsup:) but if you head over to my main blog you'll find another Advent Calendar with another set of 24 Forgotten Special Characters! You may have noticed me mention this once or twice before on this thread, probably, maybe!!  :wink;m::

Enjoy!

Dave

What, there's more than one of these compilations, I had not noticed...

cunningmatt

Quote from: Dave on December 20, 2011, 11:33:26 am
What, there's more than one of these compilations, I had not noticed...

I detect a hint of sarcasm here!  :wink;m::

cunningmatt

December 21, 2011, 07:20:06 am #38 Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:37:18 am by cunningmatt
Wednesday 21st December 2011 – OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Just 4 chunky Christmas Days to go! Better start shopping I suppose...

[spoiler]
Wednesday 21st: Bertand the Brigand

Name: Bertrand the Brigand, Hugo le Petit and Gui le Gros.

Original Points Cost: 83 points (+1 extra point per Bowmen of Bergerac)

Background: Bertrand is a commoner who is looked upon like the scum of the earth by the Knights of Bretonnian, much like Cher Lloyd. That was until he single-handed slew the "Great Flapping Monster of Chateau Mal", I've been called similar when looking for my house keys, using only his longbow. He has picked up an abnormally fat and an abnormally tall friend, and a whole host of normal bodied friends.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia – 5th Edition.

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia – 5th Edition.

Special Rules: Bertrand le Brigand can reroll all rolls to hit with his longbow, and he has The Black Arrow – once per battle a shot with the arrow wounds automatically with no armour save except magic armour. Hugo le Petit's bow hits at Strength 5. Gui Le Gros can feed the unit wine once per battle, from then on the Bowmen of Bergerac are immune to panic, but suffer -1 to hit. The Bowmen of Bergerac may skirmish.

My Memories of the Character: Nice set of models, don't take my word for it Gui Le Gros made the Citadel Hall of Fame in White Dwarf and has been re-released this month. At the time quite unique to have an upgrade for a basic unit, though something that seems to happen a bit more at present – what with the Beastmen having two unit upgrade special characters. Added some good variation to the Bretonnian army at the time.

Person(s) most Reminds Me Of: I'm sure I'm getting some kind of historical, legendary character, can't put my finger on it. Maybe Merlin and King Arthur?

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Yeah, pretty straight forward special rules for 5th edition, so should be pretty straight forward to move to 8th – not sure I'd ever use Gui's wine though, archers that can't hit are no good!

2011 Update: If you meant to get round to buying Gui le Gross in 2011 and didn't you missed your chance. He is gone from the Games Workshop website.

[/spoiler]

Procrastination by Numbers has yet another special character in need of attention, click here and visit: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg38053;topicseen#msg38053

cunningmatt

December 22, 2011, 01:09:40 pm #39 Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:16:43 pm by cunningmatt
Thursday 22nd December 2011 – OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Apologies for this morning's late running of the OG Games Advent Calendar, leaves on the line.\

[spoiler]
Thursday 22nd: Egrimm Van Horstmann

Possibly need to do some minor repair work on this model.

Name: Egrimm Van Horstmann, Dark Sorcerer of Chaos

Original Points Cost: 1,121 points in 4th edition – possibly the most expensive character of the time, even more so in 5th edition as climbed to 1,146 points.

Background: Egrimm Van Horstmann became Grand Master of the Order of Light, pleasing his parents deeply (though his uncle wanted him to be a doctor), but little did they know he was planning evil. Whilst he served the Order of Light he worked corruption and unlocked many evil things like Piers Morgan. Eventually he was uncovered by the Grand Theogonist and the Inquisitors of Sigmar, just in time as they were dancing on the final of Strictly Come Dancing. Egrimm escaped after unlocking the Chaos Dragon Baudros from the Pyramid of Light. With his corrupted Acolytes of Light formed the Cabal one of the mightiest Tzeentch warbands and a terror of Croydon library.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Chaos – 4th Edition

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: Champions of Chaos (supplement to Warhammer Armies: Chaos – 5th Edition)

However he is mentioned in both the 6th and 7th edition books.

Special Rules: In 4th Edition none, he was equipped with standard magic items that were available to all: Chaos Armour, Chaos Runeblade, Chaos Familiar and Skull of Katam. With Mark of Tzeentch, Level 4 Wizard and mounted on a massive Chaos Dragon.

In 5th edition he gained his own special rule Power of the Mind, for all Ld based tests rolls on 3D6 discarding the highest result. And as Chaos Armour became standard equipment in the 5th edition his items were slightly tweaked to be: Chaos Runesword (no armour save, except magic armour, each wound causes D3 Wounds), Chaos Familiar (each player turn Egrimm may add or subtract 1 to any dice roll – declared before roll), Cunning of Tzeentch (Chaos player can always choose to go first, any one Chaos unit can be deployed after all other units have deployed in own deployment zone), Skull of Katam (Egrimm may cast spell with one less power card than normal, however each time he uses the Skull takes a Ld test, if passed Ld is reduced by 1, if failed turns insane and is killed).

My Memories of the Character: Lovely character, lovely model, when I played 4th edition our games were dominated by High Elf dragons so Egrimm gave the Forces of Destruction a chance to fight back. Was a bugger to keep in one piece, as I didn't know how to pin at the time! Don't think I'd ever risk the Skull of Katam though 1,146 points gambled on a Ld test – no thanks!

Person(s) most Reminds Me Of: Lucas North in Spooks, no one suspected he was a traitor either.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: Level 4 Tzeentch Sorcerer on Chaos Dragon is easy to create, the Power of the Mind rule could probably stay at +20 points. Chaos Runesword and Skull of Katam exist in the 7th edition book, with different rules, but would use all the magic items allowance! Cunning of Tzeentch could still be used, I reckon +25 points and the Chaos Familiar could be swapped for one of the others.

2011 Update: I tried to rebuild Egrimm this year and I seem to have lost one of the Dragon's claws, don't suppose anyone's seen it?

[/spoiler]

Only a few more days left to head to Procrastination by Numbers and check out another set of Forgotten Special Characters, it's all only a click away: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg38172;topicseen#msg38172