• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 11:39:53 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

The Official OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Started by cunningmatt, December 01, 2011, 07:38:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jackhoneysett

Anyone think the Inxi-Huinzi model looks a bit like Andrew Lloyd-Webber?! (minus the yellow crest, I don't think Andrew has one of those)

cunningmatt

Procrastination by Numbers - Update 146:

I'm painting classic Dwarfs!! PbN Update 146

jackhoneysett

I was just judging by the skink's face, but he may well enjoy riding horned lizards (wouldn't like to comment on his personal life)

cunningmatt

Glad to see this lovely Christmassy thread has already been driven to the flight fate of every other thread on this site!!!

jackhoneysett

Quote from: cunningmatt on December 06, 2011, 12:24:36 pm
Glad to see this lovely Christmassy thread has already been driven to the flight fate of every other thread on this site!!!

You didn't really expect I'd be able to go a whole month without making at least one inane and/or smutty comment did you?  :wink;m::

If it makes you feel better I'm enjoying your calendar, it's almost as good as chocolate!

cunningmatt

December 07, 2011, 08:49:43 am #15 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:59:27 am by cunningmatt
Wednesday 7th December 2011 – OG Games 2011 Advent Calendar

Quote from: jackhoneysett on December 06, 2011, 01:40:21 pm
If it makes you feel better I'm enjoying your calendar, it's almost as good as chocolate!

Wow, almost as good as chocolate, well that high praise makes all this effort seem worthwhile then! Here's Day 7:

[spoiler]
December 7th: Thyrus Gorman

Name: Thyrus Gorman, Supreme Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic

Original Points Cost: 365 points

Background: Thyrus was a Bright Wizard and trusted ally of Karl Franz, until Wikileaks revealed they didn't really get on. He bares the Staff of Volans made for first Supreme Patriarch and probably has red hair and made Fire Magic blow strongest.

Original Appearance: Warhammer Armies: The Empire – 4th Edition.

Last Appearance: Warhammer Armies: The Empire – 4th Edition, I think. Thryus is referred to in Warhammer Armies: The Empire – 7th Edition as being defeated by the new Supreme Patriarch Balthasar Gelt of Gold magic fame.

I'm pretty sure Balthasar was in Warhammer Armies: The Empire – 6th Edition and Thryus was culled before Warhammer Armies: The Empire – 5th Edition when the vast range of models available to Empire players was culled. However I don't actually have either book, so if someone in the know can confirm that would be amazing!

Special Rules: He's a level 4 Bright wizard with a special magic item the Staff of Volans – that's all, however it's a goodie, any spell cast with the Staff of Volans cannot be dispelled by any means, however on a roll of 1 or 2 the staff is exhausted.

My Memories of the Character: Don't really have many, he was part of my abortive attempt to collect an Empire army, when I got a box of random Empire bits from an independent supplier on the Isle of Wight whilst on holiday. The box included Thryus and was quite cheap, though I remember hearing a presumably regular customer tell the owner as I left the shop, "I'd never thought you'd shift that" which always fills one with confidence on leaving shop. I do generally remember him among the vast array of Empire special characters at the time that were wheeled out for every White Dwarf battle report.

Person(s) most Reminds Me Of: A ginger Paul Daniels – now there's a disturbing thought.

Inclusion in 8th Edition: The character himself not a problem, the Staff of Volans is interesting, does he just use Balthsar's current Staff of Volans from 7th edition? Or do we give him a meaner version, every spell cast by Thryus is cast with Irresistible Force, without a Miscast, but on the roll of a 1 or 2 the Staff is exhausted. Seems horrendous. And can Thryus and Balthsar appear on the same army? Both have the Staff of Volans? Many questions peeps, what do we think?

2011 Update: As an amendment to the above there never was a Warhammer Armies: The Empire – 5th Edition (it went straight from 4th to 6th). The general consensus to my above question was the above Staff of Volans is awful. Oh and thanks to Ol who pointed out this Forgotten Special Character lives on in Warhammer Invasion:

[/spoiler]

Why haven't you checked out the other Advent Calendar over on Procrastination by Numbers? Naughty! Click here now: http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2370.msg37440;topicseen#msg37440

The Trampoline

He was in a box with Kurt Helbord, Ludwig Schwarzhelm and an Imperial Standard Bearer blowing horn called Heroes of the Empire, and there was another one called Elector Counts of the Empire, with the Hochland, Middenheim, Averland and Ostland elector counts. Apart from the Imperial Standard Bearer all of these were special characters, the warhammer 4th edition book was very good in that it had a lot of special characters and nearly all (except Magnus the Pious) had a model, compared to other books when there wasn't models for lots of special characters.
Andy

Follow me on twitter @Andy_Trampoline

spikyandy on the Warhammer Forum

jackhoneysett

The question I really need you to answer Matt:

is that a wedding cake on Thyrus Gorman's head, or a chocolate fondue fountain?

cunningmatt

Quote from: The Trampoline on December 07, 2011, 12:12:28 pm
He was in a box with Kurt Helbord, Ludwig Schwarzhelm and an Imperial Standard Bearer blowing horn called Heroes of the Empire...

Yeah I think you're right, I'm pretty sure that box set is where I got my model from! I remember as a non-Empire player being jealous of all the models they had available!

Quote from: jackhoneysett on December 07, 2011, 04:23:26 pm
The question I really need you to answer Matt:
is that a wedding cake on Thyrus Gorman's head, or a chocolate fondue fountain?

Isn't it a Fruit Pastels ice lolly?

jackhoneysett

Quote from: cunningmatt on December 08, 2011, 09:10:04 am
Isn't it a Fruit Pastels ice lolly?

Ooh yes, good call. I think it would have to be a semi-licked lolly, given the tiered structure.