• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:41:13 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

JD's motivational PLOG .

Started by JD, October 28, 2011, 09:36:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Meals

Love the colour scheme mate, looks really good. Winter Elves ftw!

Not sure if its the piccie, but I think the hair could do with a shading, as it looks a bit flat. Possibly a wash in the recesses (not all over just run the wash down the gaps) blue or purple could look good and keep the cold theme.

Also, I assume its not done yet, but I suggest lining the base rims for the army with grey/black as brown really won't match with the Winter theme imo.

Keep 'em coming

There is no problem in life that can't be solved with Heroic Killing Blow:
Plague Furnace, Abomination, Hydra, Wyvern, Arachnarok, Engine of the Gods, Zombie Dragon, Vargulf, Hellcannon. To be continued...

If we assume that there are infinite universes, then in at least one of them, I'm banging Emma Watson. Awesome!

maelzch

Looks good Doyley, I'd agree with Jim's advice about both the hair and the edge of the base
Painted total 2012: Bought:15  Painted: 74
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'
Quote from: Chris TomlinWho knew a Jager obsessed madman could be so creative?

Pip

Looks fantastic! Great paintjobs/conversions always make me want to try and copy them, and now I really want to do a winter-themed army.

Quote from: Meals on November 09, 2011, 10:16:36 amAlso, I assume its not done yet, but I suggest lining the base rims for the army with grey/black as brown really won't match with the Winter theme imo.

I disagree... if you go walking in winter, the one thing you always notice is the mud! Keep them brown, just choose a darker shade and texture them up to look properly wintry (snow?).

JD

Love the colour scheme mate, looks really good. Winter Elves ftw!

Thanks . Wasn't too sure it wouldn't look bland but am hoping the red foliage on the models I'm trying for will add just enough colour .

Not sure if its the piccie, but I think the hair could do with a shading, as it looks a bit flat. Possibly a wash in the recesses (not all over just run the wash down the gaps) blue or purple could look good and keep the cold theme.

The hair is the worst part of the model . Its caked in paint now as I kept making a hash of it . Hadn't thought of those colours to wash it with but now you mention it that sounds great . Just the sort of tips I need , thanks !

Also, I assume its not done yet, but I suggest lining the base rims for the army with grey/black as brown really won't match with the Winter theme imo.

I've started to make a base for them which is a little bigger than it should be i suppose but it will allow me to do some nice touches of scenery I hope . Its base is brown which will have stone , foliage and snow added to it . I was going to edge the model bases brown to it blended into the base as a whole . You think perhapas I should try for a different effect ?

Meals

Yeah, using blue/purple to shade hair actually comes out really nice. I did it on my Mage Hunter Assassin to keep it in the range of colours I'm trying to use. People often don't think about using unnatural colours for shading, but it works quite well. (ie, Green/purple shading for fleshtones)

With this colour scheme, that brown just contrasts too much and draws the eye away from the model imo. (I'm also assuming you're going with snow basing to match the Winter theme.)  A base should add to the model not overwhelm it. I'm not saying brown is always bad (it works fine with brighter colour schemes), just in this case... 

I personally always use Black to edge all my bases for this exact reason. Black will never draw the eye, regardless of the colour scheme...

I'd suggest trying Grey/Black and brown on a few models and comparing them, see what you think. You can easily paint over the colour if you need to.
There is no problem in life that can't be solved with Heroic Killing Blow:
Plague Furnace, Abomination, Hydra, Wyvern, Arachnarok, Engine of the Gods, Zombie Dragon, Vargulf, Hellcannon. To be continued...

If we assume that there are infinite universes, then in at least one of them, I'm banging Emma Watson. Awesome!

shadownova24

looking good mate get the rest done :))
Brought : To much
Painted : not enough

JD

Only five months to do two units . I excell even myself .  :blush:

Two units of Treekin wont be far behind though !

Technicaly not amazing painting but I am pleased with the overall look if I don't look too closely . Doing the movement trays properly also makes a huge difference to the overall effect . Nearly finished the Treekin so I might have a five day gap in posts rather than a five month !

noahtonkin

looking good mate, only a few more units left for SCGT!
Quote from: Mike
Anyone bringing whats considered 'filth' submits themselves for a pre-game roshambo from everyone in the room at the time.
OG Games' latest foray into madness... http://ogforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2794.0

House Martell. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. House Tonkin, every sunday morning, Unbowed, Unbent...Broken!

lagar312

Very impressive JD... can't wait to see the treekin   :thumbsup:

JD

Quote from: noahtonkin on April 14, 2012, 06:24:30 pm
looking good mate, only a few more units left for SCGT!

I finished the dryads then it dawned on me that after the six full days it took me to paint them I'd only done 192 points of my army .  :endit:

Treekin and the Highborn on the stag will be done the rest will be your old models .  :blush: