• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 10:54:18 am

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

JD's motivational PLOG .

Started by JD, October 28, 2011, 09:36:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Oki doki ,

Having come back actively to the hobby this year after a good fifteen year break I bought myself a Lizardman army and have since proceded to display to those unfortunate enough to notice how not to play the game . Unfortunately I made the mistake of leaving the painting of this army for the Cardiff tournie till the last minute and rushed it in a week . This has left me with a poor effort and burn out painting Lizardmen for the short term but still wanting to get back into painting and modeling .

With this in mind I've taken a look at the models and ranges that I have always found pleasing to my eye . I've always found the Wood Elf range of models as a whole to be very much to my taste in style and variety. So with this in mind I've purchased a load and inadvertantly bought a new army (or as good as) .

So as a combination of a motivational factor to get me painting/modeling again and to keep me at it I'm starting this PLOG so you can all witness that I'm as bad at this after fifteen years as I am at playing the game !

I'm hoping to achieve the best standard I can  and improve as I go along trying to make it as much a display army (as much as my abilities will allow  anyway) as one which I will use . With this in mind and also to help spur me on I'll not allow myself to use the army till everything I want to put on the tabletop is paintied and finished off to whatever my highest standard is that I can achieve .

Anyway this drivel seems to be going on far too long so to get me started I've chosen what I've always considered some of the finest GW minis for my first effort .

A unit of waywatchers -

My overall theme wont be too original as I'll be going for a typical winter effect but when it comes the forest spirits I do have some different ideas to try to achive inspired by Ol .

Righto I'd better actually do something so I don't look stupid making this post .

Update soon I hope !

Dave

Current scheme is shit, plain silver looks kak, only scheme worse is flat grey.

Ps enjoy, they're awesome fun to paint.

JD

Quote from: Dave on October 28, 2011, 09:42:41 pm
Current scheme is shit, plain silver looks kak, only scheme worse is flat grey.

To be honest I've posted this picture because it's the best they are likely to look from now on .  :blush:

Annie

Ignore Dave I think your non metallic metal efforts and fricking awesome!
I may have the body of a weak and feeble Annie, but I have the heart and stomach of a ghoul!

The Dice Bag Lady Hand made custom dice bags to order!

Sascha1706

Wood Elves from tin mountain, cousins of my GREY elves  :thumbsup:

Should be really nice once they are finished. looking forward to some updates.

On a sidenote, you would not happen to have a few spare gladeguard you could sell me? I need some shadow warriors, but the official ones just don't look the part for me.
++Thought of the day: Death is no excuse for failure++

"Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards"
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

fatolaf

follow the twitter rules of 10 hours a week for #brushtime, and you will get them done in no time

JD

Quote from: fatolaf on October 29, 2011, 12:02:49 pm
follow the twitter rules of 10 hours a week for #brushtime, and you will get them done in no time
That will only take me six weeks then .... Bonus !

JD

Quote from: Sascha1706 on October 29, 2011, 03:43:43 am

On a sidenote, you would not happen to have a few spare gladeguard you could sell me? I need some shadow warriors, but the official ones just don't look the part for me.
I did overkill my purchase of glade guard so when they arrive we'll see what I have matey .

Sascha1706

Ok, great. Thanks!

See you on thursday.
++Thought of the day: Death is no excuse for failure++

"Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards"
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

JD

Oki doki ,

Been a lil while but I'm not exactly fast at this painting lark  :blush: . My painting standards of 15-20 years ago comprised a base coat , inking and a drybrush . Not exactly the highest standard of finish with me aiming more for neatness rather than a display of technique . That is something I'd like to rectify this time around getting back into the hobby .

I've spent my time so far doing a test model for colour scheme , my capability at doing basic techniques such as highlighting etc . There are lots of things I was very pleased with and some not so happy with but overall for my first attempt I was a little surprised at how I did . I had very low expectations of myself so it didn't take much to put a smile on my face !

I haven't based it properly as I will be stripping it and redoing it as my practice colour schemes and mistakes I made have led to parts of the model having too much paint on it and blotting out detail etc and some parts I'm not overly happy with being overpainted so it would be hard to put them right .

Anyway , before I write an essay making up excuses for my insecurities here are some piccies of the model . Feel free to critisise as much as you like as I want to improve and start to take my painting seriously so far as whatever ability I have can take me .

The eyes were courtesy of Ol  :thumbsup: One thing I really havent been able to get to grips with  :blush: