• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:17:14 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

Death in the Forest - An Army Challenge Blog!

Started by The Trampoline, November 18, 2011, 02:19:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trampoline

Ed (anavorn on here) and I are both building a new army and inspired by Heelanhammer 300 points a month challenge we decided to do the same, although with 400 points to make it a bit more of an army for the first couple of months. At the end of each month we play a game in a mini campaign. This way we can build and paint a 2400point army over six months, and not get distracted by other projects due to the month end deadline.

Ed choose Empire so I wanted to go for something that would match them for a campaign setting, but I also wanted to do a new book. I was going to do Orcs & Goblins but then decided to go with Vampire Counts instead as I had an entire army lying around that needed painting. Luckily rumour-mill announced they were to be the next book, so they would slot into my want to do a new book.

Thus begins 'Death in the Forest' evil stirrings in the wild woods surrounding Talabheim, valiant soldiers marshalling, and a war of terror and faith.
Andy

Follow me on twitter @Andy_Trampoline

spikyandy on the Warhammer Forum

The Trampoline

This is my first 400 points which I have aleady begun work on.

Necromancer
20 Skeletons with Command
11 Ghouls led by Ghast
5 Dire Wolves

This is my work so far,

The skeletons are simply sprayed white, then devlan mud over the bone. Boltgun metal for the swords and armour with blue wash, then shadow grey for any cloth and  black for any belt straps.

The ghouls are denab stone for the flesh then devlan mud again. I need to even up the amount of devlan mud coverage across the ghouls as some have more than others as it stands out a bit. Any bone of them was left white then devlan mud and graveyard earth for any cloth and teeth and nails.

Once these are all finished I'll start on the dogs and then the necromancer last.
Andy

fatolaf

Good start buddy, when do we see what Ed has done?

anavorn

Quote from: fatolaf on November 22, 2011, 04:08:31 pm
Good start buddy, when do we see what Ed has done?

Once i get off my lazy arse and take some pictures! (Probably this weekend when i can take them in daylight).

My first months 400 points is going to be:

Warrior Priest with Light Armour and Great Weapon
10 Handgunners
5 Knightly Orders with Musician
1 Great Cannon
Total Cost - 399 points

For me this is going to be a chance to try and paint an army the best i can from the start - as i've already got a couple of tournament armies i won't need to rush stuff for an event so can take the time to try and paint stuff properly.

roland murat

400 points is a brave choice - thats a lots of stuff to do in a month.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing the armies evolve.
Bought: 20
Painted: 11

Boo at Deathwing. Boo!

The Trampoline

Cheers, well its a good incentive to actually paint an army. For next month I'm planning on a vargulf and soe graveguard, but decided that it would be best to bulk up the ghouls to 20 and with the odd hundred points spare I'll probably put another 5 dogs in and a wraith or banshee instead.
Andy

The Trampoline

January 19, 2012, 11:55:57 am #6 Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:01:24 pm by The Trampoline
Sorry for the lack of updates, Ed and I played our first game the first club meet on January which I won, yay me!

Here's a snapshot of the first 400points mostly done, (minor detail, the skeleton banner and the unfinished dogs are left to do)

I'm working on an essay at the moment, but hopefully should be done soon and I can post our battle report and more pictures.
Andy