• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 04:04:06 pm

News:

Come to our store on 1½ Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York and play more games....

A Game of Thrones to hit the small screen!!!

Started by fatolaf, October 26, 2010, 01:49:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fatolaf

Book One of the Epic series, A Game of Thrones is coming to TV next year from the makers of Rome and The Tudors and produced by HBO, this is going to be a class affair!

Check out the cast list, a staggering array of talent (except for Sean Bean  :wink;m::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH-WLvyWAAE

And here are the offical teaser trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVytEgSO0wQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo&feature=channel

And an interview with the main man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjY6QnOPcoI&feature=channel

All I Can say is  I am rather ******** excited about this.... :thumbsup:

Draig

Known about this one for a while and wary. HBO do very good drama, but I'll likely be giving it a miss. Unless they get a lot of things absolutely perfect I'll likely be dissapointed, and they have some hard decisions to make about toning down some of the adult material. Seems like something that would need a Lord of the Rings style budget to really pull off. If enough people I know tell me it's excellent I'll likely have a look though.

Mike

October 26, 2010, 05:06:43 pm #2 Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:08:20 pm by Mike
It'll be rubbish...

After all the hype, all the trailers.. all the Promo's...

Episode 1:

Camera swoops through a snow coloured forest.... a startled deer flees between the frozen trees.  Camera now pans to a castle... sweeping up its majestic walls and through a window.

Scene : Throne Room.
Setting : A Large oak table, at which we see 2 men sitting.

*Sean Bean shuffles some cards....*
"you to go 1st I believe"

Game of Thrones.... its actually just 8 hours of Sean Bean playing AGoT!!

2012 : AGoT II
The Supplement - Sponsored by OG Games
In the summer of 2011 he moved North... spreading the word of House OG.

I am Mike of House OG.  Ogger in the North.  And Ginger is coming.

Draig

One does not simply walk into my discard pile!

fatolaf

Quote from: Draig on October 26, 2010, 05:00:29 pm
and they have some hard decisions to make about toning down some of the adult material.

Did you watch the first series of Rome?
Rape, Incest, Buggery, Sex everywhere.. I think they can cope with the demands of AGOT

Plus the Tudors aint exactly for kids... :wink;m::

Seems like something that would need a Lord of the Rings style budget to really pull off.

Their budget for Rome was huge but it proved too high brow for US viewers  :endit: and the advertisers pulled the plug. The budget for this is meant to be three times the size and therefore one of the biggest ever for a tv show of it's type, due to the massive fan base of the books...

QuoteIf enough people I know tell me it's excellent I'll likely have a look though.

I will dont you worry.... :thumbsup:

You are always going to have a problem with giving a loved book a face, so to speak, look at the uproar from Tolkien and Potter fans over how the films treated the source material. However both came out alright in the end. The books are the books, and the shows/ films should be viewed differently IMO..

I think the chance just to have a fantasy TV show on mainstream should be applauded, not many good ones around and something very different from all the bloody Vampire shows / pics that seem to dominate at the moment...

With that cast, I suspect we are going to have something rather special on our hands, that will also attract new readers / players to the books, boardgames, cardgames etc.... :cool3:

Mike

Quote from: fatolaf on October 27, 2010, 11:28:08 am
With that cast, I suspect we are going to have something rather special on our hands, that will also attract new readers / players to the books, boardgames, cardgames etc.... :cool3:

He said with dollar signs appearing in his eyes cartoon stylee..

$_$
In the summer of 2011 he moved North... spreading the word of House OG.

I am Mike of House OG.  Ogger in the North.  And Ginger is coming.

Draig

Quote from: fatolaf on October 27, 2010, 11:28:08 am
Did you watch the first series of Rome?
Rape, Incest, Buggery, Sex everywhere.. I think they can cope with the demands of AGOT

I did. I wasn't a fan of Rome at all, past the first 3-4 episodes of season 1. Rome was pure big budget hedonism. It reveled in its rape and incest and violence and budget and all the finery that comes with those things at the expense of character development and plot. It shoved all its scandal in your face in a very gaudy and graceless way and I found very little high brow about it at all, I'll be honest. Season 2 I thought was a massive step down from Season 1 as well. Also I'm pretty sure it was cancelled because of budget, not because of the US not able to appreciate it. It got very good reviews in America.

AGoT needs a much more delicate touch for me. I'm sure it'll be a good watch and, like you say will probably draw a lot of people in. HBO are the people to pull it off if it can be done, as The Wire and Band of Brothers were ace. I'm just unlikely to ever choose to watch a TV series of a book I've already read over starting a new Fantasy series, push come to shove. But I accept that I'm strange on that front.

fatolaf

Oh I agree about series 2, was not a patch on the first, was very toned down and lost its sparkle.

But I do remeber reading at the time that even though ti had got good reviews, it was down to the costs + the dwindling audience that caused it's demise..

As for AGOT, lets just see what happens, you never know, it could be brilliant!  :cool3:

Nick

October 27, 2010, 09:01:26 pm #8 Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:04:07 pm by Nick
Woot! Lena Headey. Also I rather like Roxanne McKee, Hollyoaks notwithstanding. Very upset that wikipaedia tells me Jennifer Ehle has dropped out of this though. Had a massive, MASSIVE, teenage crush on her. (Anyone else remember the Camomile Lawn? Truly spectacular shirt potatoes.)

Yeah, I admit it, I must be the only fantasy-geek who's read the books and really don't give a sh*t about this - other than as far as some of my particular crushes will have an opportunity to get naked. There is lots of sex in the books, right? I read them, thought they were a bit gash, and never finished the series. Now can't remember what they were about.

[Edit: Just realised I'm slagging off a series Ol's a huge fan of ... please don't ban me!]

maelzch

I think you'll manage to avoid a ban simply due to the use of the phrase "shirt potatoes"!
Painted total 2012: Bought:15  Painted: 74
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'
Quote from: Chris TomlinWho knew a Jager obsessed madman could be so creative?

fatolaf

Camomile lawn was great and so were the shirt potatoes! Some great lines in that series, non that be repeated here

maelzch

Painted total 2012: Bought:15  Painted: 74
Quote from: NickAnd thus the true evil of 'Palmer, Hobbykiller' becomes clear...
At night he prances about like some sort of bearded West Country metalhead pixie, planting pink horrors in peoples' army cases and cackling while chanting his mantra, 'it's double sixes my love, take them off, just take them all off'
Quote from: Chris TomlinWho knew a Jager obsessed madman could be so creative?

Blotthrower

For those into the books A Dance with Dragons is out (possibly) later in the year:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Very excited! (too excited possibly...)

fatolaf

Quote from: Blotthrower on March 15, 2011, 07:13:29 pm
For those into the books A Dance with Dragons is out (possibly) later in the year:

Out in July buddy, confirmed now...

Draig

I love the note at the end of Feast... That was a hard book. Reason it was split in terms of characters was because it was going to be so huge, but don't worry, the next one will be out shortly, likely next year. George RR Martin, 2005.

Blotthrower

lol, I remember that now, I can't believe its been six years since the last one... I went and got the book signed by the man himself (why he'd do a book signing in Nottingham I'll never know....).

From what he's saying though it should be a bit of a monster, the same size as storm of swords!